D-10 . It is a product resulting from the investigation of a group of specialists from the Ministry of construction in Cuba to be applied in waterproofing for roofs and wet areas of constructions. It is used for waterproofing non-passable monolithic concrete roofs.
[ hide ]
- 1 Emergence
- 2 Features
- 3 Product Preparation
- 4 Application
- 5 Other uses
- 6 Recommendations
- 7 External links
- 8 Source
The geographical situation of CubaIn the tropical zone, it not only implies a climate with high temperatures in the long summer, it also exposes the territory to high humidity. When a house or any construction is not protected against moisture, it is common to see walls and even water drops appear on walls and on the roof of houses and buildings. This jeopardizes not only the comfort of the property, but also its structure is exposed to danger as well as the health of its inhabitants. It is necessary to adopt measures by the competent authorities to solve this problem and thereby avoid damage to the exposed population. This is how research is emerging, which has given rise to different waterproofing products. In Cuba since the 1950s, some of the systems known as cementitious ones with proven functionality begin to appear. Despite the existing demand, its use declined due to the deterioration of the construction industry. In the nineties theThe Ministry of Construction of Cuba requests the Technical Center of Construction Materials to work on economic waterproofing projects for roofs and wet areas of buildings. Thus was born the waterproofing D-10, as a result of the research of the specialists of that center.
The D-10 is composed of two elements:
- One in powder.
- The other of a resin.
When mixed with water it will form a hard layer that guarantees a waterproofing for not less than 5 years. Because of its simplicity, anyone, even if they do not have much knowledge of masonry, can use it for the maintenance of their home. With the impulse that has been given in Cuba to the construction by own effort, the D-10 has been included in the offers of materials for the sale released to the population.
The waterproofing is prepared by mixing in a container the part of water plus the parts of the product specified by the producer, for this it is necessary that the liquid be poured into a container and then the powder is added little by little. The mixture can be prepared with an electric mixer or manually until a semi-chaste consistency is obtained. If the mixture is prepared manually, it must be left standing for 5 to 10 minutes and stir the paste before starting to apply. Do not prepare large quantities to prevent the product from setting (Ex. Do not mix more than 20 kg of product).
[Image: D10Color.JPG | thumb | 300px | right | During the application process]] Before applying the D-10 must be prepared from the surface, it is advisable to sweep the surface with a broom or swab, remove the remains of previous coatings, paints, mold, mineral salts, etc. by mechanical cleaning with wire brush and chisel. The use of D-10 requires actions or measures to achieve a good result. Among these we can mention:
- The cracks and chipping that the surface that you want to protect can present must be filled with cement and sand mortar.
- Bumps or bumps should be removed with chisel or other appropriate instrument.
- In addition to the solid surface, it must be free of grease or debris from other materials or foreign matter that prevents the correct adhesion of the coating.
- Its application on the surface is very simple, you can use buckets, brushes or brooms or other similar.
- The D-10 can be applied to finish any masonry work, whether new or under repair.
- You can also use it in bathroom pots.
- In courtyards and any surface that is in permanent contact with water.
- Transit on the waterproofing is not recommended unless it is to perform maintenance.
- In the case of courtyards or places where the passage of people is essential, it must be protected with ceramic tile or mortar floors.
- Before applying the waterproofing, you must saturate the surface with water, it must be done twice: from outside to inside or from the lowest point to the highest.
- The product should be applied early in the day, preferably before 10 am after 4 pm, thereby preventing evaporation of the water applied and cracking.
- Once finished applying the D-10, it should be sprayed with water for two hours and put wet cloths for three days.
- Apply a second coat twenty-four hours after the first.
- Use two kilograms of mixture per square meter, so that the thickness of the layers does not exceed three millimeters.
- Support D-10 with other products if necessary to achieve the quality of work,
They can be primers and putties to seal at the most likely points of water penetration, such as drains; the cracks in the joints of floors and walls, around through pipes on surfaces, tanks, etc.