Congregation is collection of people, the term usually being applied to those gathered together for public worship. The term is sometimes applied to a body of religious not under ‘solemn’ and vows.It also signifies a certain number of autonomous monasteries banded together in a loose federation. The Congregationalists obtained their name from the fact that they believe in the basis of government being laid down by each Church.
The Christian Congregation is a Protestant denomination. It is a Pentecostal church with a strong emphasis on the work of the Holy Spirit. Its doctrine is based on 12 points of faith but the Christian Congregation is best known for the rules of life of the members.
What does the Christian Congregation believe in?
According to “The Doctrine and Faith Points Once Given to the Saints,” the Christian Congregation believes:
- That the Bible is the word of God.
- In one God, who is a Trinity – Father, Son and Holy Spirit – discover here: what is the Trinity?
- That Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the savior of the world, who died for the sins of all
- In the existence of the devil and his angels, who will be punished in the lake of fire .
- That salvation comes by faith in Jesus, who justifies and gives a new life .
- In baptism by immersion, in the name of Jesus Christ and also in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit – see here: baptism must be done in whose name?
- In baptism with the Holy Spirit, with a gift of speaking in tongues as proof of this baptism.
- In the celebration of the Lord’s Supper, as Jesus instituted.
- That one should abstain from things sacrificed to idols, blood, flesh of strangled animals and sexual immorality.
- In the prayer and anointing of the sick by the leaders, for their healing, because Jesus bore the diseases.
- That Jesus will return to carry the saved into Heaven, to be with him forever.
Their rules on dress are quite rigid and are no longer very appropriate to Brazilian society. The Christian Congregation does not accept the baptism of other Christian denominations and condemns churches where the leaders receive salary.The 12 articles of faith of the Christian Congregation have a good biblical basis and little cause for controversy. The churches are called Prayer Houses and the leadership is composed of elders, who do the same work as pastors and elders in other churches. Each member offers according to the desire of his heart.