The Belgian endive ,also called Brussels chicory , is a vegetable with numerous beneficial properties for our body. Let’s find out why it is also important to consume this food.
Here are the properties of chicory:
- cleanses the blood;
- helps cleanse the body ;
- it is an ally of the liver, it helps, cleanses and protects it;
- acts as a sedative;
- stimulates and protects the functions of the brain;
- promotes intestinal motility;
- it is a natural remedy for hypotension;
- helps regulate and decrease cholesterol ;
- laxative properties;
- helps digestion ;
- it is an ally of the pancreas;
- bitter-tonic properties;
- diuretic and detoxifying properties, for this reason it is a valid ally for the kidneys;
- antibiotic properties;
- stimulates appetite;
- relieves lung afflictions.
It is also useful against: biliary insufficiency, anemia , liver congestion, gastric atony, hyperglycemia, uricemia, rheumatism, arthritism, hepatitis, depression , migraine, the fever and skin diseases.
Chicory: nutritional values and calories
What does chicory contain?
Quantity per 100 grams:
- Water 93 g
- Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated fatty acids 0.1 g
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids 0.1 g
- Monounsaturated fatty acids 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 45 mg
- Potassium 420 mg
- Magnesium 30 mg
- Carbohydrates 4.7 g (Dietary fiber 4 g, Sugar 0.7 g)
- Protein 1.7 g
- Vitamin A 5 mg
- Vitamin C 24 mg
- Calcium 100 mg
- Iron 0.9 mg
100 g of chicory contain about 23 calories
The recipe for the infusion of chicory
Take a small bunch of fresh chicory, chop it and pour two tablespoons in boiling water, cover and let stand ten minutes. Filter and drink.
Used together with dandelions , chicory favors the purification of the organism. A purifying herbal tea can be prepared with 250 ml of water, 5 grams of dandelion, 5 grams of chicory and 5 grams of nettle . Infuse all the herbs for 10 minutes, filter the liquid and drink it after the main meals.
The recipe for chicory decoction
Chop a dry root that must boil in a liter of water, then filter and drink.
Boiled leaves can be used as a compress against:
Pan-fried chicory recipe
- boiled chicory
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- Salt to taste
- one or two anchovies in oil
- a clove of peeled garlic
I love this recipe, usually at home we boil large quantities of chicory which we then freeze in small portions. Once it has thawed it should be squeezed well, in a pan brown the garlic and anchovies in abundant extra virgin olive oil, lower the heat and pour the chicory. It goes back in the pan so that it takes flavor, adding a little salt and if it dries too much another drizzle of oil.