The Bacopa Monnieri plant is native to India where it has been used for more than 3000 years. It owes its name to Brahman which means “pure consciousness” for its power to appease the mind and encourage meditation.
This plant has long been used to improve cognitive functions such as attention span, memory, mental reflexes as well as to increase physical endurance and for countless other uses. For therapeutic purposes, the whole dried plant, leaves and stems are used. Its main components are: saponins, steroids and alkaloids. The effect of the plant is directly on the cognitive aspect, on the neuronal transmission and on the hippocampus, the part of the brain where the memory is located.
Main properties and benefits
It has always been used in India to develop brain functions, the ability to learn, improve memory, concentration , due to difficulties in reasoning and language.
Several studies done on elderly volunteers who have taken Bacopa Monnieri have shown every day an improvement in the attention and processing of verbal information . Regular consumption can therefore be an excellent preventive remedy for mental illness in the elderly, such as Alzheimer’s disease and senile dementia.
La Bacopa to help children and adolescents
Thanks to its action on memory and brain activity in general, Bacopa significantly improves school learning ability in children and adolescents , develops curiosity and a desire to learn.
It has also proved useful in the treatment of behavioral problems and hyperactivity in children.
- Increases resistance to stress and relieves nervous breakdown.
- Thanks to its relaxing action, it allows to find calm and serenity and is therefore used in the treatment of insomnia and anxiety.
- Coughs, colds and bronchitis. Applying a poultice of Bacopa to the chest may lead to an improvement in chronic cough.
- To relieve joint pain and headache . In this case it should be used locally as a pack.
- Slightly reduces hypertension.
Synergies with other plants
The Bacopa plant is very effective, but sometimes to enhance its effect or to extend its use to other fields of application, it is associated with other plants.
The most frequent synergies are with the following plants:
- The Griffonia , indicated in case of psycho-physical asthenia, sleep alterations and difficulty falling asleep, to regulate mood and nervous hunger. In association with Bacopa, a soothing effect is achieved, anxiety is fought and intellectual performance is enhanced.
- The Ginko Biloba , a plant that stimulates the circulation especially the brain. Ginko has beneficial effects on memory and attention and in association with Bacopa it can give excellent results especially on the cognitive pathologies of the elderly.
- The Ginseng , general body tonic, tonic. In synergy with Bacopa it fights physical and intellectual exhaustion.
Dosages and timing of administration.
Bacopa is generally found in tablets, as a single plant or in combination with complementary plants. As for the dosage, I suggest you always contact your naturopath or doctor first, who will find the right dosage depending on the age, weight, and problems of the person. Generally the Bacopa acts in a short time, but it is good to do cycles during the year of 2 months of hiring and 20 days off.
Are there any contraindications or side effects in taking Bacopa?
From the studies done so far on the tablet preparations there are no particular side effects, nor toxicity rate.
However, as some people may experience hypersensitivity to one or more components of the plant itself, it is always advisable to ask your trusted therapist and report any physical conditions.