Do you suddenly display a red warning message when your website is accessed? If so, it means that Google is blacklisting your website.
No need to panic. Your website can still be cured, really.
In this article we will explain 5 easy ways to avoid Google blacklists, namely:
- Check Your Website Status
- Scan Your Website
- Clean Your Website from Infection
- Closing the Website Security Gap
- Request Review to Google
Not only that, you will also learn how to prevent it. Thus, in the future your website can avoid the same problem.
Curious? Come on, listen to the end!
Table of contents close
1 Why is Google Blacklisting?
2 Types of Google Blacklists
2.1 1. Blacklist Caused by Malware
2.2 2. Blacklist Caused by Phishing
3 5 Ways to Avoid Google Blacklists
3.1 1. Check Your Website Status
3.2 2. Scan Your Website
3.3 3. Clean Your Website from Infection
3.4 4. Closing Website Security Gaps
3.5 5. Request Review to Google
4 Ways to Prevent Google Blacklisting
4.1 1. Use the Security Plugin
4.2 2. Website Updates Periodically
4.3 3. Choose a Secure Hosting Service
5 Come on, Prevent Your Website from Google Blacklist Threats!
Why is Google Blacklisting?
As a reliable search engine, Google wants to provide the best experience for its users. Including, in the context of security . So, they don’t want their users to enter dangerous websites.
Therefore, Google will immediately blacklist websites that are suspected of being detrimental to its users. Well, Google’s blacklist is done by displaying a warning message when a dangerous website is accessed.
Here are two problems that cause a website to be blacklisted by Google, namely:
- Malware – These websites contain malicious code that can automatically install software on a user’s computer.
- Phishing – The website resembles a real website with the aim of stealing user data and personal information (such as email and passwords).
So, if you ask “why is my website blacklisted by Google?”, First check whether the website is one or both of the above.
Maybe you are wondering, what is there to worry about from Google’s blacklist? The following are the potential negative impacts:
- Decreased website ranking in Google search results.
- Reduced number of visitors.
- Decreased level of visitor confidence.
- Damage to brand reputation.
Surely you don’t want to experience it, right?
So, before knowing how to avoid Google blacklists, you must first know the various types.
Google Blacklist type
Google displays different warning messages for websites with malware and phishing issues . Let’s see one by one!
- Blacklist Caused by Malware
If your website is attacked by malware, a message will appear that says ” The site ahead contains malware “. Examples like this:
Another message that may appear is a page that says “ The site ahead contains harmful programs ”.
The essence of the two messages is the same, namely advising users not to enter websites that are indicated to contain malware, aka potentially installing malicious software onto their computers.
- Blacklist Caused by Phishing
Sites that are indicated as containing phishing will display the message ” Deceptive site ahead “:
Another message that may appear is “ Did you mean [site name]? or Is this the right site? Or “ Suspected Phishing Site ”.
With this message, users are asked to consider whether to continue to access the website or close it for security.
Now, by understanding these two messages, you are one step further in understanding how to avoid Google blacklists.
5 Ways to Avoid Google Blacklists
Now you will enter the part you have been waiting for, which is to free your website from the Google blacklist! Please follow the steps below:
- Check the Status of Your Website
First of all, of course you need to know whether your website is really blacklisted or not. For that, you can check it with Google’s Safe Browsing Diagnostic tool .
Type in the website that you want to check, then the results will appear immediately. If the entire website is indicated to contain malware, the result will be like this:
If only certain parts of the website are infected, the warning message will be like this:
So, if the website is safe, no warning will appear:
Also read: Immediately Check Website Security with These 20+ Free Tools!
- Scan your website
Furthermore, the process of scanning the website needs to be done. The goal is to find the parts of your website that are infected. That way, you can know which parts you need to fix.
Here are some powerful ways to find security holes on your website :
- Using plugins– If you are using WordPress, you can install security plugins such as Sucuri and WordFence . In general, security plugins have a scanner function to detect infections on websites.
- Perform website audits– This option is suitable if you are used to manually managing servers and websites. Usually, the process consists of three stages, namely server audit , database audit , and CMS audit .
- Contacting your hosting provider– For easy direct assistance, you can contact your hosting provider’s support service.
- Clean Your Website from Infection
After finding the infected part of the website, you can immediately clean it.
How to? Here are the steps you can try:
- Make a backup– Before doing the cleaning, make sure that no data is lost. Therefore, you need to do a backup first. The easiest way to do this is to take advantage of a backup plugin .
- Remove infections with plugins– Generally, security plugins offer the option to remove any existing infections on your website after scanning.
- Uninstall problematic plugins and themes– If a theme or plugin is detected with problems during the scanning process, you can uninstall it. Then, replace it with safer themes and plugins.
- Delete suspicious user accounts– If on your website suddenly an unknown user appears, you can delete them directly as admin.
- Closing the Website Security Gap
Now you can try to scan the website again. Are you still having problems?
If it still does, you can identify the remaining infection and remove it using the same method described in the previous step.
However, if the infection has disappeared completely, do the following things to strengthen the security of your website:
- Change website password– Make sure you change your website password to be more secure. As much as possible use a combination of capital letters, numbers, and symbols. Don’t forget to use more than 10 characters.
- Install two-way authentication– Furthermore, you can make your WordPress website login more complex with the help of two-way authentication. You can activate this method via a plugin .
- Change Login URL– Usually the URL of the WordPress website login page is com/wp-admin . To make it harder to guess, you can change your login URL with the help of a plugin .
- Request a review to Google
The last step you need to do is delete the blacklist messages that are still attached to your website. For that, you can request Google to review your website again.
But remember, before making a review request, make sure your website is really safe.
Then, do the following steps to request a review to Google:
- Login to your Google Search Console account– Make sure your website has previously been registered with Google Search Console.
- Go to the Security Issuestab .
- Click the Request a Reviewbutton .
- Follow the written instructions. Then wait for Google to finish reviewing your website. If Google’s detection results show that the website is clean, you will be free from Google’s blacklist. So, no more warning messages will appear.
How to Prevent Google Blacklisting
Surely you don’t want to be blacklisted by Google again, right?
For that, you need to know how to prevent Google blacklists. So that you will not face the same problem in the future.
Here are some practices you can use to prevent Google blacklists:
- Use the Security Plugin
The first thing you need to do is install a security plugin. This is the easiest solution, especially if you are using WordPress.
Why is a security plugin important? Yes, as explained above. Security plugins will make your website much safer. You will also need features, from scanning to removing infections from websites.
Here are examples of the best security plugins that you can try :
- Sucuri – Sucuri is one of the most popular security plugins. This plugin has several excellent features such as Remote Malware Scanning and Blacklist Monitoring . You can download it for free, but to enjoy all of its features, you need to subscribe to one of the packages.
- WordFence – This plugin has several excellent features such as Real-time WordPress Firewall and WordPress Malware Scanner. Just like Sucuri, you can download it for free, but you must subscribe to enjoy all of its features.
- SecuPress – Unlike the previous two options, you can use SecuPress for free! Its features are also interesting, such as Anti Brute Force Protection, Malware Scanning, and Security Alerts .
- Website Updates Periodically
If your website is not updated, there will be security holes that are open. This is because each update is usually accompanied by fixing security holes.
For WordPress users, usually a WordPress update notification will appear on the dashboard. Likewise with plugin and theme update notifications. So you can update easily.
Don’t forget to update plugins and themes regularly. Because the security flaws can also come from old themes and plugins.
Always back up data before updating. So, you can avoid things that are not desirable. For example, failed updates to WordPress or incompatible plugins and themes are causing your website to crash.
Also read: How to Automatically Backup WordPress with UpdraftPlus
- Choose a Secure Hosting Service
Hosting services can also affect the level of security of your website, you know! Because, usually hosting providers offer special features that can increase website security.
For example, Niagahoster offers the Imunify360 feature that protects your server with six layer security technology . So, your website can be protected from hackers, malware, and viruses at any time.
If your website security has a problem, immediately ask for help from the support team. With a full 24-hour support service – like at Niagahoster – your website problems can be resolved immediately.
In addition, use a hosting service according to the security priorities you need. To understand the different types of hosting, you can study the types first .
Also read: Imunify360: Effective and Fast Ways to Overcome Malware
Come on, Prevent Your Website from Google Blacklist Threats!
Well, now you know how to avoid Google blacklists. You’ve also learned some powerful ways to increase website security . So, you can prevent the same problem from arising in the future.