The alteration of the menstrual cycle is an irregularity of menstruation that appears without a regular cadence, but occurs with sudden and important losses. The alteration of the menstrual cycle can occur in the form of:
- rhythm irregularity, i.e. cycle delay ( oligomenorrhea ), early menstruation ( polymenorrhea ), total absence of menstrual losses ( amenorrhea )
- irregularity in quantity and duration, with poor cycle ( hypomenorrhea ), abundant ( hypermenorrhea ), prolonged ( menorrhagia )
- irregularities in appearance, with sudden menstruation ( metrorrhagia ), or recurring between one cycle and another ( menometrorrhagia ).
What are the remedies against the alteration of the menstrual cycle?
To counteract the alteration of the menstrual cycle , the remedy depends on the root cause. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory therapy can cure, for example, minor losses; in the presence of abundant bleeding (which also involves anemia), the best solution could be a cure based on iron supplements. In the event that hormonal imbalance is the origin of the alteration of the cycle , it will be up to the doctor, after careful evaluation, to indicate the most suitable therapy for the individual case.
What are the diseases associated with the alteration of the menstrual cycle?
The diseases associated with the alteration of the menstrual cycle are:
- hormonal imbalances
- systemic lupus erythematosus
- ovarian cysts
- polycystic ovary syndrome
- ovarian cancer
- cervical cancer
It should be noted that this list is not exhaustive, it is therefore advisable to contact your doctor if the symptom persists
Change in your menstrual cycle, when should you contact your doctor?
It is good to communicate to your gynecologist, on the occasion of the periodic check-ups, any alteration of the menstrual cycle .