By now you have learned to perfectly use the PC software that has been suggested to you by your company, but the same cannot be said for sure about your colleagues: you receive assistance requests every other day as well, and you are forced to stay on the phone for endless minutes, explaining how to do this or that thing.
If this is the case, you will be happy to know that, with the help of one of the many programs to enter computers , you could act directly on the PC of those who ask you for help without screaming for hours trying to explain operations verbally. too complex for those on the other side.
Let me guess: you were already aware of this possibility but, having little experience in the sector, have you never dared to deepen the subject? Then this is the guide for you! In the following lines, in fact, I will show you the operation of some of the simplest and most functional software of this type, configurable in a few minutes and immediately ready for use. Happy reading and good luck for everything!
- Programs to enter PCs
- TeamViewer (Windows / macOS / Linux)
- AnyDesk (Windows / macOS / Linux)
- DWService (Windows / macOS / Linux)
- Other programs to enter computers
- App to enter computers
Programs to enter PCs
The programs to break into computers there are so many, each of which is characterized by specific characteristics, method of use and licenses. Below you will list the ones that, in my opinion, represent the best.
TeamViewer (Windows / macOS / Linux)
TeamViewer is one of the best known and most used programs in the category: it allows you to access any computer with an Internet connection, to control it in all its aspects, to transfer files and much, much more.
As for the license, you can take advantage of TeamViewer completely free of charge, as long as you use it exclusively for personal and non-commercial purposes . Otherwise, you need to subscribe to the platform, with prices starting from € 29.90 / month .
The working mechanism of TeamViewer is very simple: just install the program on the two computers involved , write down the “coordinates” of the PC to be controlled and enter them in the one that will access it.
So, first, download TeamViewer on both PCs, by connecting to its website and clicking on the Free Download button that appears in the center of the screen. Once the download is complete, start the file obtained and follow the specific procedure for the operating system you are using.
- Windows: put the check mark next to the item Default installation , click on the Accept – forward and Yes buttons, put the check mark next to the item I want to use the free version for personal use and press the Finish button , to complete the procedure installation and start the program.
- macOS: double-click the Install TeamViewer icon residing in the new window that appears on the screen, press the Open button (if necessary), put the check mark next to the wording I accept the EULA and proceed by clicking the Continue and Continue buttons to twice in a row. Now, enter the Mac password , click on the Install software button and, once the files have been copied, grant the program the necessary permissions by clicking on the Configure permissions and Open system preferences buttons . Once this is done, click on Accessibilityvisible on the sidebar of the window that opens, put the check mark next to any option concerning TeamViewer and perform the same steps also for the Screen Recording and Full Disk Access sections .
It should be emphasized that the use of TeamViewer QuickSupport , a “light” version of the program that only allows you to receive support, could also be fine on the PC to be controlled . It doesn’t even require installation: you can always find it on the official TeamViewer website .
In case of doubts or problems, I refer you to reading my TeamViewer download guide , in which I have provided you with even more detailed information on how to proceed.
Now, position yourself in front of the computer to be controlled and take note of the partner ID (the number displayed under the heading Your ID ) and the access password , both indicated in the Remote Control tab of the program (on the left).
Once this is done, open the program on the computer you intend to work from, click on the Remote Control tab and enter the interlocutor ID obtained previously, in the text box residing in the Control remote computer section . Finally, put the check mark next to the item Remote control , click on the Connect button and, when prompted, enter the password to access the PC to be controlled and enter .
The game is practically done! Within a few seconds, you should see the desktop of the PC to which you have established the connection: from this moment, you can check it in all its aspects, acting exactly as if you were in front of its screen.
If you wish, you can configure TeamViewer to accept connections from outside even without entering a password (after associating the same TeamViewer account on all computers involved), quickly send files to the interlocutor, carry out software updates remotely and much more : to find out more, I suggest you read my tutorial dedicated to how the program works .
AnyDesk (Windows / macOS / Linux)
AnyDesk is another excellent program designed to remotely control a computer, which makes its simplicity of use its strength: it can be used for free for personal purposes , while for commercial use it is required to purchase a license (with prices starting from € 8.49 / month ).
In order to function properly, AnyDesk must be present on all computers involved; although the software works even without installation, in order to avoid problems related to permissions, I suggest you do it at least on the PC to be controlled.
Anyway, to download the program, connect to its home page and click the Download Now button . Once you have the installation file , open it and follow the steps provided for the operating system you are using.
- Windows: click on the link Install AnyDesk on this computer… , remove the check mark from the option relating to the AnyDesk printer and finalize the setup by pressing the Install and Yes buttons .
- macOS: drag the program icon to the Mac Applications folder , open it, double click on the file you just copied and click on the Open button , to authorize the first execution of the application. Now, click on the Set item , located on the initial screen of the program, and then on the Open system preferences button , to grant the necessary permissions: click on the Accessibility item located in the left part of the window, put the check mark next to any item regarding AnyDesk and repeat the same steps for the Registration If you are unable to change the options, click on the locked padlock symbol at the bottom left and, when prompted, enter your Mac password and press Enter .
At this point, if you need to log into a PC to provide assistance, and if the legitimate owner of the computer can access it, ask them to tell you the numerical sequence under the wording This device , enter it in the Remote Device text field visible in the AnyDesk window open on your computer and click on the Connect button .
Following this operation, the owner of the PC to be controlled will receive an access request, which must be accepted by clicking on the Unblock (only at first use on Windows) and Accept buttons . If you are using Windows , you will also need to click on the Unblock button , to bypass the firewall and give AnyDesk full access to the network.
If, on the other hand, you need to configure an unsupervised access (authorized via a password and not via the human “click”, so to speak), press the Set password for unsupervised access box … present in the AnyDesk screen on the PC to be checked, put the check mark next to Enable unsupervised access and type the password to be used for future access, twice consecutively, in the appropriate fields.
Finally, click on the Apply button and the game is done: from this moment, you will be able to log in to the PC remotely by entering the ID in the appropriate AnyDesk field and specifying, when requested, the previously set password , to establish the connection. Easy, right?
DWService (Windows / macOS / Linux)
DWService is a real platform dedicated to remote control, which works by joining a web server to a connection client available for Windows, macOS and Linux: once the client installation is complete, it is possible to access the PC to be controlled using any browser . Unlike the solutions seen so far, DWService is a program to enter computers for free even for commercial purposes: this means that you can use it, at no cost, in any eventuality.
In order to use the service, you must register on the dedicated platform and create an agent , to be configured later on the computer to be controlled: therefore open the home page of the service, click on the link Register here and enter the required information in the form that you are shown ( email , password and geographic location ).
Now, solve the captcha check , click on the Register button and enter, when requested, the verification code that should have been sent to you by email in the meantime. Once the login is complete, click on the Agents box , press the [+] button at the top and indicate a name to assign to the agent (eg Salvatore’s PC ) and, if desired, a brief description to identify him.
After this step too, click on the Add button and wait to be brought back to the DWService main page. When this happens, click on the To be installed section on the left and take note of the agent number you just configured, located at the bottom of the box visible on the screen – you will need it soon.
Now, go to the computer to be checked and proceed with the installation of the DWService agent: connected to this website, click on the Download button twice in a row and wait for the client installation file to be downloaded to the computer.
Once you have the file , follow the steps specific to the operating system you are using.
- Windows: start the file obtained above, click on the Install , Next and Yes buttons, put the check mark next to Yes and press the Next button again . Once this is done, check the box next to the wording Entering the installation code , click on the Next button , type the agent number configured previously and press the Next and close buttons , to finish.
- macOS: open the Downloads folder , right-click on the file obtained above and press the Open button , in order to overcome the restrictions imposed by macOS against software from non-certified developers. Now, repeat the same operation on the icon named DWAgent , put the check mark next to the Install item , press the Next button and, when prompted, enter the Mac password in the appropriate field and enter . Therefore, follow the same instructions already seen in the previous point to configure the agent.
The game is practically done! To connect to the remote computer of your interest, connect to the DWService home page and, after logging into your account, click on the Agents button and then on the agent name configured previously, which resides in the Available section . To view and / or control the desktop, click on the Screen button and that’s it!
Please note that, if the computer to be controlled is a Mac , you will need to give DWService the permissions for accessibility and screen recording , before making the connection, otherwise you will only be able to view the contents of the desktop, but not control it.
To do this, open the System Preferences , clicking on the resident gear symbol on the Dock , access the Security & Privacy section , click on the locked padlock symbol located at the bottom left and enter the Mac password , when prompted, to unlock changes.
Now, click on the Accessibility item located in the left sidebar, press the [+] button and select the name of the Mac disk (eg Mac Mini ), using the drop-down menu that appears at the top of the new panel.
At this point, open the Macintosh HD> Library> DWAgent> Native folders and double-click on the dwagguilnc file , to add it to the list of applications authorized to use the accessibility system. Then, click on the entry Screen recording , click on the [+] button and repeat exactly the same steps seen a few seconds ago, in order to authorize DWAgent to complete interaction with the screen. If you intend to also perform file swapping operations, repeat the same procedure also for the item Full disk access .
Other programs to enter computers
The ones I have listed so far are just some of the best programs to get into computers , but they are not the only ones. Here are some valid alternatives to the previous solutions.
- Supremo( Windows / macOS ): is a software that allows you to control any computer via the Internet, which does not require installation and is immediately ready for use. It is free for personal purposes.
- VNC Connect( Windows / macOS / Linux ): this is a remote access platform made available by the RealVNC team, which allows you to remotely control any computer on which the appropriate server program is installed . It is paid (with prices starting from 36 € / year), but it provides a free trial period of 14 days.
- Chrome Remote Desktop( Windows / macOS / Linux ): This is an extension designed for the Google Chrome browser , which allows you to provide and receive assistance over the Internet. Its use is free and involves the installation of a program on the computer to be controlled.
To find out more, take a look at my guide dedicated to remote access programs , in which I have covered the subject in great detail.
App to enter computers
Do you need to access a computer connected to the Internet using your smartphone or tablet? In this case, you can use the “companion” apps of the most popular remote control software. Here are some of them.
- Chrome Remote Desktop( Android / iOS / iPadOS ): is the official application to access computers set up for control via the homonymous extension for the Google Chrome browser. It’s free.
- Splashtop( Android / iOS / iPadOS ): is an application that works with the help of a desktop client , called Streamer, which must be installed on the computer to be controlled. It is free for non-commercial purposes.
- DWService( Browser ): if you have chosen to use the aforementioned control platform, you will be pleased to know that you can also access the configured agents via the browser on your smartphone or tablet, in a way that is almost identical to that seen on a computer .