Cinnamon can be used as a medicinal plant because it has properties that improve the health of the individual.
The main benefits of cinnamon include:
- Help to control diabetesbecause it improves the use of sugar;
- Improve digestive disorders suchas gas, spasmodic problems and to treat diarrhea due to its antibacterial, antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory effect;
- Combat respiratory tract infectionsas it has a drying effect on mucous membranes and is a natural expectorant;
- Decrease fatigue and improve moodbecause it increases resistance to stress;
- Help fight cholesterolby the presence of antioxidants;
- It helps in digestion, especially when mixed with honey because honey has enzymes that facilitate digestion and cinnamon antibacterial, antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory effect;
- Decrease the risk of cancerby containing a high amount of antioxidants that eliminate metabolites and free radicals responsible for various types of disease in the body;
- Decreases appetitebecause it is rich in fiber;
- Reduces fat accumulationbecause it improves tissue sensitivity to insulin action;
- It improves intimate contactbecause it is an aphrodisiac and improves blood circulation, increasing sensitivity and pleasure, which also favors sexual contact.
Cinnamon can be used in several ways, one of them is to sprinkle the powdered cinnamon over desserts, creams, mousses and porridge thus having all the benefits of powdered cinnamon . Another way to consume cinnamon is in the form of tea. Check out the Ginger and Cinnamon Cough recipe .
Check out all the benefits in the following video:
Nutritional information of cinnamon
|Components||Amount per 100 g of cinnamon|
|Vitamin A||26 mcg|
|Vitamin C||28 mg|
To have all the health benefits of cinnamon, just take 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon a day.
Medicinal properties of cinnamon
Cinnamon has antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and antioxidant action, it also stimulates the body’s defenses, having antispasmodic, anesthetic and probiotic action. Therefore, cinnamon is good for improving circulation, reducing cholesterol, increasing resistance to stress, improving insulin action, improving mental energy, concentration and personal motivation. It is also good for drying phlegm, is rich in magnesium and controls muscle pain and stiffness.
How to use cinnamon in food
The parts used in cinnamon are its bark, found in supermarkets in the form of cinnamon stick, and its essential oil, which can be found in health food stores or drugstores.
A popular way to enjoy the benefits of cinnamon is to use it as a seasoning in meat, fish, chicken and even tofu. For this, just grind, 2 anise stars, 1 teaspoon of pepper, 1 teaspoon of coarse salt and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Store the seasoning in the refrigerator and it is ready to use at any time.
Sprinkling 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder on fruit salad or oatmeal is a great strategy to help regulate blood glucose naturally, being useful in controlling diabetes and for weight loss. Here’s how to make the cinnamon diet to lose up to 4 kg per month.
How to make cinnamon tea
Another very popular way to use cinnamon is to make tea, which besides being very aromatic, brings all the health benefits of cinnamon.
- 1 cinnamon stick;
- 1 cup of boiling water.
Put the cinnamon stick in the cup with the boiling water and let it stand for 10 minutes. Then remove the cinnamon stick and consume up to 3 cups a day, before meals.
If the flavor of the tea is too intense, it is possible to leave the cinnamon stick in the water for less time, between 5 to 10 minutes, or add a few drops of lemon or a thin slice of ginger, for example.
Possible side effects and contraindications
Cinnamon is a relatively safe ingredient, so side effects are rare. However, if consumed in excess, cinnamon can cause some irritation inside the mouth and lips. In addition, some people appear to be more sensitive to cinnamon and may develop allergic reactions.
Due to its coumarin composition, cinnamon, in large quantities, can be toxic to people with liver problems.
Finally, because it helps to regulate blood sugar levels, cinnamon should only be used in diabetics under the guidance of the doctor, especially if antidiabetics or insulin are being used, as there is a risk of hypoglycemia.
Healthy Cinnamon Recipes
Banana and Cinnamon Cake Recipe
- 5 eggs
- 2 and ¼ cups of wheat flour
- 1 cup demerara sugar tea
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ cups of milk tea
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1 cup of oil tea
- ½ cup of crushed walnut tea
Beat the eggs, sugar, milk and oil for about 5 minutes in a blender. Then add the flour and baking powder, beating a little more to mix everything. Finally, pass the dough into a container, add the mashed bananas and crushed walnuts and stir well until the dough is uniform.
Place the dough in a greased pan and place in a preheated oven at 180º until golden brown. Then sprinkle cinnamon on top of the cake.
Baked Apple with Cinnamon Recipe
- 2 Units of Apple
- 2 Units of Cinnamon Stick
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
Wash the apples and remove the central part, where the stalk and seeds are, but without breaking the apples. Place the apples in an ovenproof dish, placing a cinnamon stick in the center and sprinkling with sugar. Bake at 200ºC for 15 minutes or until the apples are very soft.