Archangel Michael is one of the supreme princes among angels. He is a warrior angel, who fights against the devil and defends God’s people. The Bible says little about Archangel Michael.
Archangel Michael appears 5 times in the Bible:
- Daniel 10:13- an angel appeared to the prophet Daniel in a vision and explained to him that he just had not arrived earlier because the prince of Persia (an agent of satan) prevented him. But when Archangel Michael arrived and helped him, he managed to reach Daniel. See here: who is the angel Gabriel?
- Daniel 10: 20-21; Daniel 11: 1 – Michael helped to fight the prince of Persia and Greece and had received help from Daniel’s vision angel
- Daniel 12: 1- Archangel Michael will come at the end of time and will have an important role that is not explained
- Jude 1: 9- the archangel Michael entered into a dispute with the devil for the body of Moses when he died. In this dispute Miguel showed wisdom in not defaming, but left the rebuke to God
- Revelation 12: 7-9- this vision speaks of a great battle in heaven between the army of God’s angels, led by Michael, and the army of satan. Satan lost and was thrown to the earth. This battle is not the same as the great final battle when the devil will be thrown into the lake of fire
From these 4 references, we know that Michael is an archangel – a prince among angels, or main angel. He has more power than some angels and helps to fight against the most powerful elements of Satan’s army. Miguel is a great warrior and defends the people of God.
See also: does the Bible talk about guardian angel?
Is Archangel Michael Jesus?
The Bible does not say that Archangel Michael is Jesus. In fact, the archangel Michael appears so little in the Bible that it is impossible to find a clear association with Jesus. It will be wiser to believe what the Bible says Michael is: a powerful angel.
Whoever believes that Archangel Michael is Jesus says that:
- He has the same functions as Jesus– to protect God’s people, to lead the heavenly struggle against the forces of the devil
- He is the only archangel– there is no other reference to an archangel in the Bible, so Michael must be the only one, the supreme prince; Jesus is the supreme Prince over all the servants of God
- Jesus will return when the voice of the archangel sounds– that voice could be the voice of Jesus himself – 1 Thessalonians 4:16
Anyone who believes that Archangel Michael is distinct from Jesus says that:
- Miguel is not God– Jesus is God; Miguel, while disputing with the devil, said “the Lord rebuke him”, implying that he was not the Lord
- Jesus is distinct from angels– the first chapter of Hebrews makes it very clear that Jesus is far above angels, he is not just a supreme angel. Read here: Is Jesus God?
- The Bible says little about angels in general– just because it doesn’t talk about other archangels doesn’t mean they don’t exist; Daniel 10:13 says that Michael is one of the supreme princes, he is not the only one
In any case, to play it safe, we must not pray to Archangel Michael . The Bible prohibits the worship of angels. The name that has all power is the name of Jesus ( Colossians 3:17 ).