The Sulfadiazine is used especially in the treatment and prevention of meningococcal disease , the f ebbre rheumatic and toxoplasmosis .
What is Sulfadiazine?
Sulfadiazine interferes with the synthesis of folic acid by bacteria, and in this way inhibits its growth and multiplication.
How is Sulfadiazine taken?
As a rule, Sulfadiazine is administered orally in the form of tablets.
Side effects of sulfadiazine
The potential side effects of Sulfadiazine include:
- loss of appetite
- He retched
A doctor should be contacted as soon as possible in case of:
- persistent sore throat or fever
- red skin, blisters or swelling
- red or purple spots under the skin
- breathing difficulties
- severe or persistent diarrhea
- severe sunburn
- stomach pain or cramps
- difficulty urinating
- tiredness or weakness
- feeling of tightness in the chest
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue
- blood in the stool
- dark urine
- reduction in the amount of urine produced
- fast heart beat
- joint pain
- oral irritation or sores
- vaginal irritation or discharge
Warnings on the use of Sulfadiazine
Sulfadiazine may impair the ability to drive or operate dangerous machinery ; this effect can be accentuated by alcohol or other drugs. It can also increase the sensitivity of the skin to the sun, alter the results of urine tests in those suffering from diabetes and, always in diabetics, cause hypoglycaemia.
Sulfadiazine must not be taken during the last weeks of gestation and in the first 2 months of breastfeeding , if you suffer from anemia associated with folic acid deficiencies and in case of severe kidney disease or blockage of the bladder.
Before starting a treatment with Sulfadiazine it is essential to inform your doctor:
- of any allergies to the active substance, its excipients or any other drug (in particular sulfonamides) or food;
- of medicinal products, herbal remedies and supplements taken , remembering to mention in particular indomethacin, probenecid, salicylates, anticoagulants, methotrexate, diuretics and sulfonylureas;
- if you have suffered or still suffer from diarrhea, sore throat, gastrointestinal infections, asthma , liver or kidney problems, G6PDH deficiencies, porphyria or other blood diseases in the past ;
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding .
Your doctor, surgeon and dentist should always be informed of taking Sulfadiazine.