Olmesartan is used for the treatment of ‘ hypertension .
What is Olmesartan?
Olmesartan promotes the reduction of blood pressure since it acts by relaxing the blood vessels.
How is Olmesartan taken?
Olmesartan is administered orally . It can be used in combination with other drugs or alone .
Side effects of Olmesartan
Taking Olmesartan has been associated with several possible side effects , such as intestinal problems, angioedema, as well as potential dizziness .
A doctor should be contacted immediately if any of the following effects occur:
- feeling of tightness or chest pain
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue
- unusual hoarseness
- changes in the amount of urine produced
- dark urine
- fast or irregular heart beat
- breathing difficulties
- muscle pain or weakness
- swollen hands, ankles or feet
- low pressure
Contraindications and warnings on the use of Olmesartan
L ‘ taking Olmesartan is strongly discouraged during pregnancy . Olmesartan should also not be taken by people with diabetes , or by patients who are taking Aliskiren- based products because of kidney problems. Colesevelam should be taken at least four hours after Olmesartan, if you are being treated with both medicines.
It is good practice to inform your doctor immediately if you are taken if:
- any allergies to the active substance, its excipients, other drugs or any food;
- of medicines, phytotherapy and supplements taken, in particular diuretics, ACE inhibitors, Aliskiren, Fans and Lithium;
- you have suffered or still suffer from blood flow disorders, kidney or liver problems, diabetes, gallbladder problems, hypovolemia , angioedema, cardiovascular problems, dehydration or abnormalities in electrolyte levels in the blood;
- in case of stroke ;
- in case of a recent heart attack ;
- in case of dialysis ;
- if you follow a low sodium diet ;
- you are pregnant or breastfeeding .
Alcohol, heat, physical activity and fever can aggravate dizziness that could be induced by the drug. So it is always a good idea to get up slowly , especially in the morning, and sit or lie down at the first signs of dizziness. Olmesartan can impair your ability to drive and use hazardous machinery .
The use of alcohol or certain medicines can aggravate this side effect. The doctor, surgeon or dentist should be informed of Olmesartan intake.