The fenofibrate works by reducing levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood and increase those of HDL (high-density lipoprotein, the well-known “good cholesterol”).
What is fenofibrate?
Fenofibrate works by speeding up the natural process of eliminating cholesterol from the body.
How do you take fenofibrate?
Fenofibrate is administered orally, in the form of capsules or tablets. Usually it should be taken once a day.
It can be taken alone or in combination with other medicines.
Usually the doctor prescribes an initial dose of fenofibrate which can later be changed depending on the reaction to therapy.
Side effects of fenofibrate
Among the possible side effects of fenofibrate we also find:
- stomach ache
- back, arm or leg pain
It is essential to notify a doctor immediately in the presence of:
- breathing problems
- feeling of tightness in the chest
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue
- pain or tenderness in the muscles
- joint pain
- scaly skin or blisters
- upper back pain (between the shoulder blades or under the right shoulder)
- stomach pain, mainly if on the upper right
- He retched
- redness, swelling, pain, sensitivity or warmth in the leg
- shortness of breath
- painful breathing
- blood in the sputum
Contraindications and warnings
Before administering fenofibrate it is essential to notify the doctor:
- of possible allergies to the active substance, to its excipients, to any other medicine, to foods or other substances
- of drugs, phytotherapy and supplements taken, specifically anticoagulants, colchicine, diuretics, beta blockers, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, hormone replacement therapy or hormonal contraceptives and immunosuppressive medicines
- if you suffer (or have suffered) from kidney, liver or gallbladder disease, diabetes or hypothyroidism
- if you consume large quantities of alcohol or have drunk it in the past
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
In the presence of therapy with bile acid sequestering resins, it is better to take them one hour after or 4-6 hours before fenofibrate.