Event can attract spotlights for the educational institution, in addition to engaging and motivating the teaching and student teams.
The academic day is one of the main events that can occur in an HEI, since it is an excellent alternative for students to put their knowledge into practice and update themselves on the markets in which they wish to act professionally.
However, in order to bring good results, it is important that your organization is very well performed, in order to bring the best possible use to all involved, which applies to the management nucleus of the higher education institution to students.
If you are not sure what the event is, as well as what to do to organize it, know that you have come to the right place! We will debate on the topic to clarify doubts and emphasize its great importance for the academic community as a whole.
What is academic journey?
Index [ Hide ]
- 1 What is an academic journey?
- 2 What are the advantages of an academic journey?
- 3 How to organize an academic day?
- 4 Make the academic journey a routine at your higher education institution!
It is an extra-class and extra-curricular event that aims to help the development of students and their proximity to the job market, as well as the research and extension environment, so that they are better prepared to deal with what the future will reservation.
It brings together professional groups from the region where it will be held, which discuss issues relevant to their area of expertise. With this, it is possible to guide the path that the work will follow, in addition to directly impacting the way in which workers relate to their activities.
The academic day , the duration of which varies according to the proposed objectives and the number of participants, is one of several types of academic events, a group that also includes congresses, meetings, symposia, forums, seminars, courses and workshops, among others.
Extra-class activities are a subject of great relevance and must be addressed by all higher education institutions, something that unfortunately is still far from happening, which is even statistically proven.
The study “ Engagement Insights – Survey Findings on the Quality of Undergraduate Education ”, by the National Survey of Student Engagament , brought interesting numbers on the issue, which, if not directly related to the academic journey , also end up encompassing it.
More than 55,000 students from 132 institutions were asked questions, one of which was the extent to which the courses substantially emphasize inclusive and culturally engaging activities by class level.
Sharing students’ perspectives and experiences and respecting the expression of diverse ideas were the main responses for students in the first year of graduation. The same applied to those who were already in the fourth year, followed by the development of skills to effectively work with different people.
Although the objective of the research was not exclusively to carry out extra-class activities, it is evident that they are considered as important activities for students, which undoubtedly can help in their academic, professional and personal development.
What are the advantages of an academic journey?
In addition to being relevant to students, there are several other reasons that support its achievement, such as the following:
- Increase in the engagement of faculty and other employees. As the organization of the academic daydepends on the teachers, coordinators and directors, its accomplishment will increase the engagement of the team and also improve the relationships, since it will be necessary to think about something outside the classroom, which helps to break the routine.
- Involvement of the student body. Although the organization comes from IES, students can participate in the event with works, research, projects and other activities that enrich the journey for all participants.
- Potential for presenting scientific papers. The event can become a scientific journeyif there is the submission of articles from different areas of knowledge, which is able to raise the level of the event even further.
- Highlight of IES before society. Whether for residents of the region, professionals in the field, students from other educational institutions or even the media, an event the size of an academic daytends to place HEI in a prominent position before the competition.
- Savings for its realization. Although it is not a rule, the institution does not need to spend much to put the event into practice, since it will be able to use its own campusfor the realization. In addition, as the event tends to attract several interested parties, the chances that this will turn into potential income in the future are great.
How to organize an academic day?
Even with so many benefits, well-planned planning allows the event, which is laborious, in fact, to be simpler than imagined. Just follow these tips:
- Set a date in advance. Ideally, planning should start months before the event, especially when it comes to a scientific journey, which requires even more time and effort on the part of everyone involved. The better the preparation, the higher its quality tends to be.
- Avoid conflicts with the race schedule. Participation in the academic dayis optional, that is, if the date is close to that of your assessments, it is very likely that the major (or exclusive) focus will be on preparing the exams. By avoiding this type of conflict, interested parties can dedicate themselves without impairing their academic performance .
- Choose the theme of the event. The journey can basically cover subjects from any course or area of knowledge of the institution, and it is up to the organizers to define which is the most viable. To bring an even greater impact, it is worth analyzing which themes are in vogue in society and bringing them to the event.
- Select those responsible for the event. After defining the theme, see which teachers and coordinators are best suited to it and assemble an excellent team, which will directly impact the quality of the academic journey.
- Draw up the rules for participation. For students to know how to participate, it is essential that there is a regulation or at least a set of guidelines. This will create an important standardization to assist in the assessments of those responsible.
- Publicize the event to the community. After everything has been planned, the time has come to make the event public and invite your target audience, such as teams from companies operating in the area, students from other institutions, professors in the chosen area of knowledge and even the local community. It is also interesting to extend the invitation to the media, since the coverage will be very beneficial for HEI.
- Offer all necessary support. As it is a large-scale extracurricular event, students must have access to the organizing team, in order to clear their doubts and obtain the necessary guidelines in favor of even more relevant and interesting participation.
Make the academic journey a routine at your higher education institution!
The organization is laborious and demands effort, including financial. However, given the potential benefits, it is clear that it pays to invest in the realization of this event, which can have a guaranteed presence in the institution’s semiannual or annual calendar.