Gravitational field . Disturbance that a body produces in the space around it due to having mass .
[ hide ]
- 1 Gravitational field strength
- 2 Properties of the gravitational field
- 3 Importance of your calculation
- 4 See also
- 5 Sources
Gravitational field strength
The intensity of the gravitational field, g, at a point in space is the force that would act on the unit of mass located at that point. Its unit is N / kg. The term gravitational field is often used to designate the gravitational field strength.
Gravitational field properties
- It is a central field and decreases with the square of the distance .
- The negative sign is because g and ur have opposite senses. Gravitational forces are always attractive.
Importance of your calculation
The calculation of the gravitational field provides a useful starting point for studying the movements of objects in the Cosmos . If the value and direction of the gravitational field at a point are known, those of the force exerted there on any object of mass are automatically known.