The diet for gastritis and ulcers is based on natural foods, rich in fruits, vegetables and whole foods, and low in industrialized and processed products, such as sausage, fried foods and soft drinks.
This diet facilitates the digestion process, causing food to pass quickly through the stomach, preventing stomach acid from being released in excess, causing heartburn, pain and worsening of the ulcer.
Foods allowed in the diet for gastritis are those that are easy to digest and low in fat, such as:
- Fruits in general, avoiding acidic fruits such as lemon, orange and pineapple, in case of reflux or pain when consuming these foods;
- Vegetables in general, you can use vegetables cooked during periods of crisis and pain, as they are easier to digest;
- Lean meats, without fat, chicken and fish, preferably roasted, grilled or cooked;
- Skimmed milk;
- Whole natural yogurt;
- Whole grains, such as brown bread, brown rice and brown pasta;
- Chamomile teas;
- Decaffeinated coffee;
- White cheesessuch as ricotta, minas frescal or light rennet;
- Natural spices, such as fine herbs, garlic, onion, parsley, coriander, mustard.
Taking ginger tea also improves digestion and decreases heartburn and nausea, see how to do it here .
Prohibited foods are those that are difficult to digest and highly processed, as they are rich in additives and preservatives that irritate the stomach, such as:
- Processed meats: sausage, sausage, bacon, ham, turkey breast, salami, bologna;
- Yellow and processed cheeses, such as cheddar, catupiry, minas and provolone;
- Ready sauces;
- Avoid green, matte and black tea, or others that have caffeine;
- Diced spices, meat broths and instant noodles;
- Frozen readyfood and fast food;
- Drinks: soft drinks, ready-made juices, coffee, red tea, mate tea, black tea;
- Alcoholic beverages;
- Sugarand sweets in general;
- Refined foods and fried foods, such as cakes, white breads, snacks, cookies;
- White flours, such as farofa, tapioca and, in some cases, couscous;
- Foods high in fat, such as fatty meats, chicken skin, liver and excess fatty fish such as salmon and tuna.
In addition, whole milk and acidic fruits like lemon, orange and pineapple should also be avoided if symptoms of heartburn or stomach pain appear after consumption.
The gastritis diet, although following some rules, can vary widely, depending on the tolerance of each patient. So the list above is just a guide. In addition, if gastritis appears mainly in times of stress or tension, it may be a sign of nervous gastritis. See the symptoms and how to treat this type of disease here .
Diet menu for Gastritis and Ulcer
The following table shows an example of a 3-diet menu for the treatment of gastritis and ulcers:
|Meal||Day 1||Day 2||Day 3|
|Breakfast||watermelon juice + 1 slice of whole grain bread with light curd and egg||1 cup of decaffeinated coffee + 2 scrambled eggs with minas frescal cheese + 2 slices of papaya||strawberry smoothie with skimmed milk + 1 slice of bread with Minas cheese|
|Morning snack||1 apple + 5 cashew nuts||1 mashed banana with 1 col of oat soup||1 glass of green juice|
|Lunch dinner||4 col of brown rice soup + sauteed vegetables + chicken breast cooked with tomato sauce||1 piece of fish baked in the oven with potatoes, tomatoes, onions and a drizzle of olive oil||wholemeal pasta with pieces of turkey breast and pesto sauce + green salad|
|Afternoon snack||whole natural yogurt + 1 col of honey soup + 1 col of oat soup||Papaya smoothie with skimmed milk||decaffeinated coffee + 2 slices of whole grain bread with light cream cheese and egg|
Learn more about what to eat with gastritis in the video:
Recipes for diet against gastritis
1. Roasted fruit
A good option for breakfast or an afternoon snack is to eat a boiled or roasted fruit.
How to do it: Place 6 apples or 6 pears placed side by side on a baking sheet and add 3/4 cup of water. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the fruit is tender. You can add 1 cinnamon stick in the middle of the apple or pear to make it taste better.
2. Natural gelatin
Gelatine is fresh and is a good dessert option for main meals.
How to do it: Add 1 packet of unflavored gelatin to the 200 ml glass of whole grape juice and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
3. Fish broth
The fish stock is an excellent option for a light dinner, and should be consumed not too hot.
- 500g diced fish fillet (tilapia, pacu, hake, dogfish)
- 1 lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1/2 chopped pepper
- 2 medium potatoes
- green smell to taste
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
Season the fish with lemon and salt to taste and marinate for 15 minutes. In a saucepan add the other ingredients, first browning the onion and garlic, add the water, potatoes, peppers, tomatoes and bring to a boil, then add the fish and cook for a few more minutes. Finally add the chopped green smell, turn off the heat and reserve.