Bpm technology . Also known as Business Process Management. With their approaches evolved and its technology edge, has emerged as the key element to provide organizations with the agility and flexibility to respond quickly to new challenges and opportunities market .
[ hide ]
- 1 History
- 2 Features
- 3 BPM 360º
- 1 Main functionalities
- 4 Benefits
- 5 BPM Dimensions
- 6 The catalyst: BPM technology
- 7 Scope of BPM
- 8 Importance
- 9 References
- 10 Sources
It all begins in the eighties where companies focus on the TQM methodology of continuous and progressive improvement. A decade later in the 1990s, Business Process Reengineering (BPR) was promoted. This was a methodology designed by the authors Hammer and Champy who pointed out that the processes should not be designed for insignificant changes equivalent to 10 or 20% improvement, but rather should be designed to be revolutionary; This model had its successes and failures.
Then came the Enterprise Resource Planning ( ERP ) system that gained the attention of entrepreneurs and like the BPR, this methodology had its advantages and disadvantages. By the turn of the millennium, companies became enthusiastic about Customer Relationship Management (CRM), which focuses on managing with customers. This successful commercial strategy benefits and prioritizes what is known as the front office but leaves aside the back-office processes or support or support processes. That is why more recently Six-Sigma has come to fill that void. The end result, for now, of the long road in search of process-based organizational efficiency is what is known by the acronym of BPM . 
It is a set of management tools, technologies, techniques, methods and disciplines for the identification, modeling, analysis, execution, control and improvement of business processes. Improvements include both continuous improvement changes and radical changes.
With the term BPM360º, it is said that in BPM there are different phases:
- Process Analysis: analyze current or new processes to find out how to define them (definition of tasks, how to execute those tasks, who performs the tasks, where they are performed, what data is used, what business rules must be met, etc.).
- Process Design: design business processes following a BPM notation.
- Execution of business processes: automate processes with a workflow engine ( workflow ) and integrate applications and data so that there is an adequate orchestration.
- Monitoring and Analysis: monitor business activities and relate the information of the processes with the business strategy to know if it is aimed at the objectives or not, and thus make reactive decisions.
Regarding the main functionalities that BPM provides, there are:
- Assign activities to people automatically and according to any criteria, or according to workloads.
- Remind people of their activities, which are part of a WorkFlow queue ( workflow ).
- Optimize collaboration between people who share activities.
- Automate and control the flow of documents, data and images.
- Proactively assign to the people who must execute the activities, all the necessary resources (documents, information, applications, etc.) in each of them.
- Define and control alerts according to time, event or condition criteria, thus causing a message to a supervisor, an escalation of activities to other people to resolve them, and / or an automatic resignation.
- Modify processes and manage exceptions live, or on the fly, and from anywhere, that is, allowing any process instance already started to be modified, without having to start it again and without the need to use your computer.
In addition, through any browser so that it can really be done from anywhere.
- Provide an on-line view for supervisors of the status and history of each process instance, of each activity, and of the performance of the people.
- Send each person their activities and alerts, regardless of their geographical location, through the WEB , Email , SMS , or any other mobile device.
- Provide metrics for managers of areas, organizers, process and quality managers , both for Continuous Improvement purposes and for Quality and Management Indicators .
- Easily integrate with other systems, applications and ERPs .
- Provide a high level of support for human interaction.
The benefits, both tangible and intangible, are numerous. The most important ones are described below:
- Improve customer service and attention.
- Increase the number of activities executed in parallel.
- Minimizes the time required by participants to access documentation, applications and databases.
- Drastically decreases the transfer time of work, information and documents between activities.
- Ensures the continuous participation and collaboration of all staff in the process.
- It drastically reduces the time that participants, supervisors and administrators need to know the status of a work item (eg: purchase order, claim participation, customer order).
- Simplification of outputs – automatic outputs. Word documents , Faxes, e-mails , short messages to mobiles , etc.
- Availability of mechanisms for better management and optimization of processes. 
BPM is aptly named because it addresses the broader world of a company through its three essential dimensions.
- The business: the value dimension.
The business dimension is the dimension of value and the creation of value for both customers and stakeholders (people interested in the good running of the company such as employees, shareholders, suppliers, etc.).
BPM directly facilitates the company’s business goals and objectives: sustained growth in gross income and minimal performance improvement; increased innovation; improvement of productivity ; increased customer loyalty and satisfaction and high levels of staff efficiency .
BPM incorporates more capacity than ever to align operational activities with objectives and strategies. It concentrates the resources and efforts of the company in the creation of value for the client. BPM also enables a much faster response to change, fostering the agility needed for continuous adaptation.
- The process: the transformation dimension.
The process dimension creates value through structured activities called processes. Operational processes transform resources and materials into products or services for customers and end consumers. This transformation is the way a business works; the magic elixir of the company.
The more effective this transformation, the more successful value is created. The science applied processes and transformation spans the history of modern industrial management from gurus quality like Deming , Juran , Shingo , Crosby , and Peters and recently the practices of Lean and Six Sigma . BPM fully incorporates these methodologies and accelerates them with dramatically improved definition, measurement, analysis and control systems.
Through BPM, business processes are more effective, more transparent and more agile. Problems are solved before they become more sensitive matters. Processes produce fewer errors, and errors are detected faster and resolved earlier.
- Process effectiveness.
Effective processes are more consistent, generate fewer losses, and create greater net value for customers and stakeholders. BPM directly fosters an increase in the effectiveness of processes through adaptive automation and the coordination of people, information and systems.
Unlike the methods and tools of the past, BPM does not enforce effectiveness through rigid and unproductive control systems focused on functional domains. Instead, BPM enables continuous response and adaptation to real-world, real-time events and conditions.
- Transparency of processes.
Transparency is the property of openness and display, and it is critical to the effectiveness of operations. Long ago, transparency eluded companies, whose processes are often encoded in arcane systems , unintelligible to mere mortals. BPM discovers these black boxes and reveals the internal mechanisms of business processes .
With BPM, you can directly visualize all the elements of the process design such as the model, workflow , rules, systems and participants as well as their performance in real time, including events and trends. BPM enables business people to directly manage the structure and flow of processes and track results as well as causes.
- Agility in the processes.
Of all the demands of business operations, perhaps the most pressing is the need for change – the ability to adapt to changing events and circumstances while maintaining overall productivity and performance. BPM provides process agility by minimizing the time and effort required to translate business needs and ideas into action.
BPM enables business people to define processes quickly and accurately through process models. It enables them to carry out future analysis in business scenarios. It gives them the right to configure, customize, and change transaction flows by modifying business rules. Directly convert designs of running processes, integrating systems and building applications without the need for code and without fissures. In addition, each BPM platform comes equipped with technology components that facilitate and accelerate codeless development and integration.
- Management: the training dimension.
Management is the training dimension. Management puts people and systems in motion and pushes processes into action in pursuit of business goals and objectives. For management, processes are the tools with which business success is forged.
Before BPM, constructing and applying these tools spawned an unwieldy mix of automation enterprise – class, many tools of desktop isolated, manual techniques and methods and force brute.
With BPM, you can bring together all of your process development and process management systems, methods , tools, and techniques into a complete, structured system with the visibility and controls to drive and fine-tune it.
The catalyst: BPM technology
Business leaders and directors know the fundamental roles of business, processes and company management. For decades these have been defined, studied, and improved. Technology, however, has evolved faster, and recently significant advancements have changed the game. BPM technology is the new enabler that has taken business, processes and management to new levels.
BPM technology is the key ingredient of BPM, it is the catalyst in a new, faster and more effective business alchemy . BPM technology is the result of many years of experience in development and application; the product of the most current advances in information systems and processing; the summit of all architectures , languages and protocols computer .
BPM technology constitutes a great advance, and a new paradigm in terms of flexibility, management and control of information and data. BPM, as a comprehensive management practice, is the result of the combination of technical advances with established methods and practices, of a business model focused on the process. BPM technology includes everything you need to design, represent, analyze and control operational business processes:
- The design and modeling of processes possible to easily and rigorously, can define processes that span value chains and coordinating roles and behaviors of all people, systems and other resources.
- Integration allowed to include in business processes any system information, system control, data source or any other technology . The service – oriented architecture ( SOA ) makes it faster and easier than ever. It is not necessary to part with investments already made; everything can be reused.
- Work environments composite applications allow you to build and deploy applications based on web almost instantly, without fully functional code.
- Execution directly converts models into action in the real world, coordinating processes in real time.
- Business Activity Monitoring (BAM) tracks the performance of processes as they happen, monitoring many indicators, displaying key trends and process metrics, and predicting future behaviors.
- The control allows you to respond to events in the processes according to the circumstances, such as changes in the rules, notifications, exceptions and transfer of incidents to a higher level. 
The scope of BPM is made up of a set of specialized software solutions that manages to automate, in an efficient way, the entire life cycle of business processes, rules and services, from identification and modeling , to monitoring, allowing thus, a fully automated Continuous Improvement environment.
The implementation of BPM is emerging as a key and strategic factor, which organizations are adopting more frequently to improve their business processes and resources]]. They are one of the main IT investment axes in Companies and Public Administration in the coming years. Clearly , BPM technology , combined with adequate Process Management , must have specific characteristics to offer flexibility and agility in the evolution and dynamism of business processes and associated computer systems .
The first requirement is that the automated process should be easy to modify without the help of a programmer , so that the barrier to change is lowered. The technology BPM has evolved in this direction with the introduction of graphic descriptions of processes, engines business rules, and other mechanisms, and the ability to modify the process immediately, on the fly without interruption. To be successful in implementing BPM , organizations should not make the big mistake of focusing only on technologies , but on the knowledge, mastery and continuous improvement of their processes, data, and business resources.