Abdelaziz – Bouteflika. Former President of the People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria .
Buteflika is recognized for his participation in the Algerian War of Independence , which took place between 1954 and 1962 as a response against the French colonization based in that nation since 1830 . He joined the National Liberation Army in 1956 , beginning his political struggle for Independence. After the triumph of the Algerian liberation in 1962.
He was born in Oujda, Morocco ( North Africa ) on March 2 , 1937 . Belonging to a family emigrated to Morocco from the Algerian region of Tlemcen, the boy, the second of a total of nine brothers and stepsisters (his father had two wives). In 1955 he completed his secondary studies with a degree in French and a diploma from the Koranic school.
In May 1956 , at the age of 19, the young man crossed the limits of the recently dissolved French Protectorate of Morocco and entered the western region of French Algeria to join the Army of National Liberation (ALN), the military branch of the Liberation Front. Nacional (FLN), which in November 1954, under the leadership of Ahmed Ben Bella , Benyoucef Benkhedda , Krim Belkacem and other independence leaders, had launched into armed struggle against the forces of the metropolis.
Before taking action, Bouteflika received military training at the FLN cadre school in the Moroccan town of Dar El Kebdani , near Nador. The instructors were immediately aware of the skills and qualities of the recruit, who quickly assumed positions of responsibility. His first assignment, between 1957 and 1958, was that of inspector general of the V Military Region or Wilaya, who directed the guerrilla operations in the Oranesado following the political instructions of the Provisional Government of the Algerian Republic (GPRA), headed by Ferhat Abbas since Cairo and then Tunisia. In the V Wilaya Bouteflika was placed under the command of Commander Huari Boumédiène , whom he served as secretary and aide.
Charges and Duties
- In 1960 , Commander Abdelaziz Bouteflika was appointed to the southern borders of the country to control the so-called “Mali front”, to prevent the division of the country that the colonial power intended.
- In 1962 , he was elected a member of the Constituent Assembly and later appointed Minister of Youth, Sports and Tourism of the first government of independent Algeria.
- In 1963 he was appointed Minister of Foreign Relations.
- In 1964 he was elected by the Congress of the National Liberation Front as a member of the Central Committee and the Political Bureau.
- In June 1965 , he took an active part in the revolutionary readjustment that led to the creation of the Council of the Revolution, under the presidency of Houari Boumedienne.
- In 1974 he was elected President of the 29th session of the United Nations General Assembly . During his presidency, the UN excluded the Apartheid regime from its membership and the leader of the Palestine Liberation Organization, Yasser Arafat , was received for the first time in the international body .
- In December 1998 , he declared his decision to stand as an independent candidate in the presidential elections. The 15 of April of 1999 he was elected President of the Republic.
- Upon taking office, President Abdelaziz Bouteflika reaffirmed his determination to restore security, peace and stability in the country. For this purpose, on September 16, 1999, a legislative process of Civil Concord began, which was approved in a popular referendum with more than 98% of the favorable votes.
- On 22 February of the 2004 , Abdelaziz Bouteflika announced his intention to run for a second presidential term; being reelected on April 8, 2004 with 85% of the votes.
- February 12 Bouteflika announced his decision to participate in the presidential elections of April 9, 2009, as an independent candidate; being reelected again with 90.24% of the votes.
- Abdelaziz Bouteflika has received numerous national and international decorations, including the José Martí Order