The Albuterol is a drug that acts by inducing the opening and the relaxation of airway leading to the lungs , which is a bronchodilator . Its action allows you to breathe more easily.
What is Salbutamol used for?
Salbutamol is used in the prevention and treatment of breathing difficulties , the sense of tightness in the chest , but also of wheezing , as well as lung conditions such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease , asthma and associated symptoms such as cough .
How is Salbutamol taken?
Salbutamol is taken orally . The drug is taken in syrup or tablets, usually no more than 3 or 4 doses per day. It can also be taken in the form of prolonged-release tablets, which should be taken with plenty of water, or with another non-alcoholic drink, without chewing or dividing them once every 12 hours.
The doctor may prescribe an initially low dose of Salbutamol, increasing the doses of the drug to be taken progressively.
Side effects of Salbutamol
Among the possible side effects of Salbutamol we highlight:
- muscle cramps
- difficulty falling asleep or staying awake
- nose bleed
- uncontrollable tremors
- changes in appetite
- sudden mood swings
A doctor should be contacted without hesitation in case the intake of the drug gives rise to:
- increased breathing difficulties
- chest pain
- swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips , eyes, hands, feet, ankles or calves
- fast, irregular or heavy heart beat
- difficulty swallowing
- blisters or skin rashes
Contraindications and warnings associated with the use of Salbutamol
Before starting Salbutamol therapy it would be advisable to notify your doctor:
- of any allergies to the active substance or other drugs;
- of the medicines, phytotherapy and supplements taken , in particular beta-blockers, Digoxin, diuretics, Epinephrine, oral drugs or inhalers against asthma, medicines for colds and, even if taken in the previous weeks, antidepressants or monoamine oxidase inhibitors ;
- in case of irregular heart rate, heart disease, high blood pressure , hyperthyroidism , diabetes or convulsions;
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding .