what is code of Ethics. It refers to the study of conduct and moral judgment.It is moral philosophy. Codes of ethics are essentially short statements of principles governing certain aspects of conduct. Ethics, as related to the professional is concerned with the teacher’s conduct in ms, involving professional duties and responsibilities. It is concerned with the teacher’s relationships with parents, the general public, other teachers,administrators supervisors,and the educational profession.
Professional ethics mean much more than obtaining a position through professionally accepted channels, out a contract, and keeping as confidential scholastic record. It includes the attitude which the teacher holds towards his profession, the spirit in which he deals with the associates, the dignity and professional manner in which he acts toward pupils and parents. It implies the of a sense of relative values whereby a teacher the professional course of action in all circumstances. It implies loyalty, though not blind to the teaching profession, to one’s associates, children under one’s care.
A code of ethics usually includes both general and specific statements of principles which are intended govern conduct not already governed or controlled by law. The code is based upon standards of moral behavior, violators of which are usually punishable only to extent of expulsion from membership in the association While there may be some little value attached to writing of a code of ethics, real and lasting value can only when its principles are enforced.
What Is Code of Ethics In The Profession of Teaching,Workplace, Psychology,Healthcare And Engineering
A code of ethics functions as more than a well-written statement of what ideal behavior of people would under certain conditions. It serves to protect conscientious teacher and to penalize the offending o serves to assure boards of education, administers teachers, parents, children, and the general public of a kind of working relationship which adds dignity to education.
It helps develop a sense of mutual confidence in behavior and attitudes of all groups concerned in business of education.It would be difficult, if not impossible, for organization to devise or construct a code of ethical standards which would be completely satisfactory to thousands of individual members to which it pertains. T0 avoid this problem some codes are composed of su general statements and platitudes that they mean v little to the people to whom they apply. If a code of el does not serve many useful purposes to the individual member it is of little real value.
Purposes of code of Ethics
- A code of ethics should appeal to young people who are potential good teachers. It should appeal to those who find inspiration and challenge in the opportunities and obligations of the profession. Each member of the profession has a responsibility make the profession an attractive way of life for suitable young people who may desire to prepare themselves for entry into it.
- A code of ethics should outline to the neophyte in the profession the extent and the limits of his obligations and privileges as a practitioner.
- A code of ethics should serve to bind together the members of a profession through the common :consideration of standards of professional behavior. There should be a common acceptance of the wish to build and sustain a deserved respect for the profession in the society of which it is a part. Each member of the profession should use his influence to protect fellow professionals in their right to engage freely in proper professional and social civic activities.
- A code of ethics can serve as a reference for laymen who wish to reassure themselves as to the aims and purposes of the profession.
- A, code of ethics can assist in preserving for the expert professional people in the schools the role of Ike educational “expert”.The selection of textbook, the writing of courses of study, the selection and assignment in the schools of professional people, the construction and courses of study and curriculums, a management of in-service programs illustrations of areas where the role of the mush be courageously clarified.
- A code of ethics would be useful in p emphasis on the cooperative relationships that between the teacher and the general pub” teacher and the parent, the teacher and the teacher and the fellow teacher, the teach the supervisory and administrative staff, cooperative attitude characterizes the m public servant in a democratic world, just individualistic-authoritarian attitude characterizes the ” dictate-submit” dichotomy of the anti -democratic countries.
- A code of ethics should contribute to the strength and advancement of all learning and to the w of all the learned professions, and it should strength and inspiration from them, that from tl and through them and of itself it may contain the welfare of man.
- A code of ethics, then, should function to provide rationale within which the profession may operate.
Commitment To The Profession Is The Core Element of Professional Ethics
The person should feel the importance of his profession. He would be showing a dishonesty of purpose if one having entered it he is engaged in other pursuits. Without an exclusive attention to his job he would fail in forth a fine harvest of young men and women are able to contribute their best for the welfare of and. If a teacher takes to his work just to make his because nothing else is available, he will lack the essential zeal required by the teaching profession. He must be a teacher first and the teacher last.
The professional ethics demands that every person does try to exploit school influence for private gains. He realizes that if he does it, he signs his moral death-warrant, result is that no amount of pressure can wean him the path of duty and justice. Authority cannot coerce nor can temptation reduce him into any course of not conducive to the highest interests of the school.He fights all temptations to pad his purse with money winch he is not entitled. He does not indulge in He does not prescribe or recommend books on consideration.