- People use a VPN for many different reasons these days, including work-related requirements, privacy concerns, or unblocking restricted content.
- If you lose your Internet connection after connecting to VPN, check your DNS settings, change servers, or try another VPN provider.
- In case your issues are not VPN related, check out our articles in the Internet Connection Errors area.
- Learn more about VPNs in our VPN Guides section found on this website.
When VPN connects, the Internet disconnects – This is a top concern among VPN users, but there are solutions to fix it in order to access the Internet and VPN at the same time.
If you can’t access the internet when connected to VPN, try some of the solutions listed below.
- What can I do if the Internet disconnects when I am connected to a VPN?
- Change your VPN
- Private internet access
- Check your underlying connection
- Verify incorrect date and time settings
- Install the latest version of your VPN
- Connect to a different server location
- Change your VPN protocol
- Change your DNS server settings
- Uninstall and reinstall your VPN
- Adjust your proxy settings
- FAQ: Learn more about Internet connectivity through VPN
What can I do if the Internet disconnects when I am connected to a VPN?
1. Change your VPN
After connecting to the VPN network, Windows says there is no internet connection. That could suggest a problem with the VPN servers. First of all, make sure you use a highly respected and reputable VPN provider.
If you are already using private Internet access , please contact your customer service. They have a great team that is ready to help you. If not, what are you waiting for? PIA, owned by Kape Technologies, offers a host of features and privacy at a very competitive price.
These are the main reasons why we recommend private Internet access:
- use the service on 10 devices simultaneously
- thousands of servers and hundreds of different locations to choose from
- privacy-focused company with dedicated DNS servers to prevent leaks
- unblock any restricted website, software or P2P
Private internet access
PIA offers unlimited bandwidth, so you never have to worry about slow speeds and latency. Get it now at a discounted price for a limited time only!
$ 2.85 / month Buy now!
2. Check your underlying connection
Disconnect from your VPN and try to access the internet. If you can access the internet, connect to your VPN and proceed to the next step in this guide.
If you cannot access the Internet, the problem has to do with your Internet connection. You may need to restart your device and check your network settings to fix it.
3. Verify incorrect date and time settings
- Double click on the date and time display in the taskbar
- Click Change date and time settings .
- On the Date and Time tab , click the Date and Time Change… .
- In the box Date and Time Settings dialog box, update your time to the current date and time, then click click on OK .
- If you need to change the time zone, click Change time zone … , select your current time zone from the drop – down list, then click on OK .
- Restart your VPN and connect to a server location.
- If you can’t connect to a server location after restarting your VPN, reinstall the VPN . You don’t need to uninstall the application first, just run the setup program again.
Does the weather keep changing in Windows 10? Check out this guide to solve the problem easily.
4. Install the latest version of your VPN
- Right click on Start and select Run
- Type regedit and hit Enter
- You will now see the User Account Control dialog.
- Click Yes
- In Registry Editor, under Computer , double-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE .
- In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, double click SOFTWARE and then [your] VPN .
- If you cannot find [your] VPN directly under SOFTWARE, go to SOFTWARE > Classes > [your] VPN .
- Right-click on [your] VPN and then click Delete . After removal, you should no longer see your VPN on Wow6432Node .
If you can’t edit your Windows 10 registry, read this handy guide and find the quickest solutions to the problem.
Can’t access Registry Editor? Things are not as scary as they seem. Check out this guide and solve the problem quickly.
If you see that the VPN still appears as an available VPN connection after uninstallation:
- Right-click the Start button and then click Run .
- Enter ncpa. cpl in the run command and then press Enter to go to the Network Connections window.
- In the Network Connections window, right-click the WAN miniport labeled [your] VPN .
- Click Delete .
5. Connect to a different server location
Select a different VPN server location and connect to it. If you can access the Internet when you are connected to a different server location, there may be a temporary problem with the server location that you originally selected.
6. Change your VPN protocol
VPN protocols are the methods by which your device connects to a VPN server. If your VPN uses the UDP protocol by default, this may be blocked in some countries. For optimal performance, choose the following protocols in the following order:
- OpenVPN TCP
Open your VPN options or settings and select the Protocol from the list.
Note: PPTP offers minimal security, so only use it when absolutely necessary.
7. Change your DNS server settings
Manually configuring your Windows computer with other DNS server addresses can help you access blocked sites and enjoy faster speeds. To set up your Windows 10 PC, follow the instructions below.
Open Network Connections settings
- Right click on Start and select Run
- Enter ncpa. cpl and click OK
- In the Network Connections window , find your usual connection, either LAN or wireless network connection.
- Right click on the connection and select Properties
Set DNS server addresses
- Double click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4) or just Internet Protocol
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses
- Enter these Google DNS server addresses: Preferred DNS Server 188.8.131.52 and Alternate DNS Server 184.108.40.206
- If Google DNS is blocked, try the following: Neustar DNS Advantage ( 154.70.1 and 220.127.116.11 ) enter and press OK; Level3 DNS ( 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124) enter and press OK. Once you’re done, configure your VPN’s DNS settings and delete old DNS entries as described in the next solution.
DNS server not responding in Windows 10? Take a look at this guide and fix the problem in no time.
Can’t change static IP address and DNS server in Windows 10? Follow this guide.
8. Uninstall and reinstall your VPN
Restart your computer or uninstall and then reinstall your VPN on your machine.
You can uninstall the app and log into your account again, then configure your VPN, find the latest version, and connect again.
- Right-click on Start and select Applications and Features
- Find your VPN from the list of programs and select Uninstall
- In the Setup Wizard , click You will receive a notification after a successful uninstallation, so click Close to exit the wizard.
- If the VPN is still listed as available after uninstalling it, right-click Start and select Run
- Type cpl and press Enter to open the Network Connections window
- Under Network Connections , right-click on the WAN miniport labeled [your] VPN
- Select Delete
- Click Start and select Settings
- Click network and internet
- Select VPN . If you see [your] VPN as available, remove it
Once removed, reinstall the app and see if it helps.
Do you need more information on how to uninstall programs and applications in Windows 10? Check out this helpful guide.
If you’re having trouble opening the Settings app, take a look at this article to resolve the issue.
9. Adjust your proxy settings
A proxy server is an intermediary between your computer and the Internet, often used to hide your real location and allow you to access websites that would otherwise be blocked.
If you are having trouble connecting to the Internet, it may have been configured to use a proxy server.
Make sure your browser is configured to detect proxy automatically or without proxy. Here’s how to disable the proxy server in Internet Explorer:
Note : The steps below will not help you access online streaming services. If you are unable to access a service because a VPN or proxy was detected, contact your VPN’s support team for immediate assistance.
To disable proxy in Internet Explorer:
- From the Tools or Gear menu , select the Internet options .
- On the Connections tab , click LAN Settings .
- Uncheck all displayed options except auto-detect settings .
- Click ok
- Close your browser and then open it again.
Proxy server problems are quite annoying. Make them a thing of the past with the help of this guide. Did any of these solutions help? Let us know in the comment section.
FAQ: Learn more about Internet connectivity through VPN
- What does it mean when it says there is no internet connection?
It means that the device is connected to the VPN service, but it does not have access to the Internet and it cannot connect to other servers.
- What to do when I am connected to the Internet but do not have access to the Internet?
The best thing to do is reset your router. Unplug it, wait at least 30 seconds, and then plug it back in. Wait for it to connect and reconnect.
- Why is VPN not working on WiFi?
Either you need to reset the router or your network administrator has added some restrictive policies that prevent you from using a VPN.