Interested in knowing all about the benefits of an Android Fork? In this post you will get it; We will see what the Android fork is and what it is for, as well as what its advantages and disadvantages are. But first, let’s look at some concepts.
There are two versions of Android , both designed by Mountain View especially for mobile devices. The first and best known is Android , which exclusively has Google services and applications, from its store, its accounts, location, or maps.
The other version of Android is called AOSP (Android Open Source Project) and is open source. For some time, AOSP has become independent from Google and no longer relies on its services as a base.
What is a fork?
A fork is a term used in computing that involves the process of cloning a source code, which also specialists in the field have called a fork . Thus, developers, manufacturers or other people who know how to program, can make applications and modifications to the platform of a given operating system.
What is the Android Fork?
An open source operating system implies that any programming expert can develop applications by activating the developer’s options and even modify the source operating system.
Now, as we mentioned earlier, AOSP is open source and is based on Linux. For this reason, Android is fully available for third-party developers or manufacturers to download and insert their own changes, there are even applications that allow you to develop mobile applications .
This process would be a Fork of Android or a fork of the Android operating system, a feature that has been very well used by AOSP.
What is an Android Fork for?
A fork of android inspired by AOSP, is used for third-party developers or manufacturers to create a kind of alternative version of Android, in such a way that it can operate on other mobile devices and platforms other than Android; using their applications, but without Google services.
This is the case for Huawei , Xiaomi or Samsung. China, for example, has already been implementing the Android Fork for some time now, now the experience has been spreading to other countries.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of an Android Fork?
Advantages of an android fork
- They lead to the independence of developers and manufacturers, who have the freedom to create new versions and analogous services, even alternative applications to those of Google.
- Android Forks are subject to constant review, modification, updates and even improvements to traditional Google applications .
- Usually, the creation of new versions of Android are nothing more than innovative customizations of the brand, sometimes much more attractive than those of pure Android.
- Even these Android Forks involve less expense for users, since even older mobile devices can install these versions.
Disadvantages of an Android Fork
- It may take time for developers or manufacturers to create updates , some may not be compatible with previous versions, a huge disadvantage for users, who can easily get discouraged by the rollback.
- Another drawback of the Android Forks has to do with the fact that some stores of these brands do not guarantee sufficient security to users on their mobile devices.
- Another limitation is the language , since the services and applications do not have a greater variety, it is likely that Spanish is excluded from the list of options.
More drenched on this topic about what the Android Fork is and what it is for, its advantages and disadvantages? Now make the best decision as to whether to purchase one or not.