Polyphenols are a type of substances or micronutrients that act as antioxidants in the body. Antioxidants are the substances responsible for fighting the negative action of free radicals.
Free radicals are molecules that are produced in our body, as a result of biological reactions that occur in cells; These reactions are necessary for cell life, however, in the long term they produce negative effects on the cells, causing their cell membrane and DNA to be altered
Types of Polyphenols
Flavonoids: found in fruits, vegetables, green tea and red wine. It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Isoflavones: found mainly in leguminous plants, for example, soy is the main source of this type of polyphenols.
Benefits of Polyphenols
1. Its antioxidant action is the main benefit of these substances, it fights free radicals, delaying the cellular aging of the body, making all our organs healthier for longer.
2. Some foods with polyphenols, such as green tea, help balance the intestinal microbiota, causing us to have better bowel movement and health, because it reduces the number of harmful bacteria and increases the number of good bacteria present in the intestine.
3. According to a study published by the medical journal Nutrients, the high consumption of polyphenols helps reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, as they limit the effects of cell aging.
4. They have anti-inflammatory and anti-allergenic properties and effects, it helps strengthen the immune system.
What foods are they in?
It is estimated that in our diet we must include between 50mg and 800mg of polyphenols so that antioxidants achieve a positive action.
The foods with more presence of polyphenols in their composition are:
1. Red and purple fruits and vegetables. For example, strawberries, grapes, blueberries, beets, eggplant, etc.
2. Legumes such as lentils, peas, beans and soy.
3. Whole grains, wheat, nuts such as peanuts, almonds, pistachios and sunflower seeds.
4. Paprika, garlic, onion and tomato.
5. Drinks such as tea and red wine.
6. Olive oil
7. Cocoa and chocolate.