Among other Windows 10, 8.1 and Windows 7 errors that can be encountered both when starting a program or game, or simply when working in the system – the message “WerFault – application error” followed by an explanation that may differ depending on the situation, for example : “The instruction at the address accessed the memory at the address, the memory could not be read ” or “The memory could not be written”, “Exception unknown software exception in the application”, “The required data was not placed in memory due to an I / O error” , sometimes – “an error occurred while starting the application” and others.
This guide details how to find out what causes the WerFault.exe application error and how to fix it, as well as additional information that may be useful in the context of the problem in question.
What is WerFault.exe and how does the Windows error logging service work
WerFault.exe is a system process started by the application crash error logging service. In general terms, the work process is as follows:
- An application crashes on startup or running.
- The Windows Error Logging Service is starting.
- The started service starts the werfault.exe process with the parameters, where the keys are -p and -ip, the first is the ID of the failed process (instead of N – the actual number), the second is the ID of the process that initiated the failure.
C: \ WINDOWS \ system32 \ WerFault.exe -pss -s N -p N -ip N
- The WerFault.exe process terminates in less than a second and a second process starts with slightly different parameters, but also specifying the process ID of the failed process.
C: \ WINDOWS \ system32 \ WerFault.exe -u -p N -s N
- Event ID 1000 is added to the Windows event log (Applications log), indicating the application that failed.
- The wermgr.exe process is launched, and after a while (seconds) the WerFault.exe and wermgr.exe processes terminate.
- The Windows Error Logging Service is stopping.
That is, to put it simply, the error is caused not by WerFault.exe itself, but by some programs on the computer or their components (for example, DLL libraries), and WerFault serves only to report an error.
Also, understanding the operation of the error logging service allows us to determine which program is causing the failure if we do not have this information. This can be done in the following ways:
- Go to the Windows Event Viewer ( Win + R– msc ), open the Windows logs – Applications and see the latest events with code 1000 and information about the failure.
- Catch werfault.exe in Process Explorer https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorerand examine the passed parameters, in particular the process ID, by which the faulty application can be identified (displaying the process ID can be enabled in the usual task manager or see in the same place in Process Explorer in the PID column).
Common Causes of WerFault.exe Application Error and How to Fix It
Common causes of the WerFault.exe application error are:
- The work of the antivirus, especially if the error occurs when launching unlicensed software – try disabling the antivirus and check if this solved the problem.
- Incorrect driver work. Most often – video cards, network cards and Wi-Fi adapters. The solution is to manually download and install the original drivers from the official website. In the presence of integrated and discrete video – on both video adapters. Remember to restart your computer after reinstalling the drivers.
- Incorrect program operation – again, most often for unlicensed programs with modified files.
- Incompatibility of the program with the current version of Windows, especially for old software. You can try running the program in compatibility mode.
- Modifications to Windows itself. It makes sense to check the integrity of the Windows system files.
- The work of third-party services, sometimes – programs for cleaning memory, running in the background. Check if the error appears when you clean boot Windows.
- Memory errors. You can use the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool to check.
- If the error did not appear until recently, it is likely that some system updates were the cause, you can try to remove them. Or use system restore pointson the date the problem did not manifest itself.
- If the error message has the text “Error while starting the application” with an error code, try searching the Internet for that error code.
- For programs with plugins (for example, plugins), third-party plugins may be the cause of the error.
- Just in case, check your hard drive or SSD for file system errors using the chkdsk C: / fcommand on the command line.
Among other tips, you may come across a suggestion to disable the error logging service and, as a result, launch WerFault.exe. This is unlikely to help with the crashing program or game, but you can try:
- Go to “Services”, to do this, press the Win + Rkeys on your keyboard and enter msc
- Find “Windows Error Logging Service” in the list and double-click on it.
- Set Startup Type to Disabled and apply the settings.
If the suggested options did not work, please describe in the comments exactly how and under what conditions the WerFault.exe application error appears, which application is causing the crash, are there any regularities in the appearance of the crash, and other details: maybe I can help you.