=Google revealed plans this week to monetize videos from publishers on YouTube who have not joined the partner program. The change will take effect first in the United States, but will roll out to all other regions where YouTube is available.
As a result, YouTube viewers will see more ads on the site and this is especially a problem if YouTube is being watched on TV and not on a device that supports content blocking.
Black Friday 2020
- Read our shopping tips
- The best offers of the first day
- Discover all the updated offers on Amazon
While it’s clear that advertising is needed to fund a service like YouTube, it’s also clear that Google has been pushing ads more aggressively on the site in recent times.
Video ads can play in front of videos, but they can also stop playing a video to display non-skippable ads.
If you use Amazon’s Fire TV to watch YouTube on your television or have an Android-based Smart TV , you can install a third-party application on your device to watch ad-free YouTube and get other benefits from the next change.
Smart YouTube TV is an open source application designed specifically for Android TV. The app is designed specifically for TV screens, supports 4K, works independently of Google services, and doesn’t require root.
The application must be moved sideways as it is not available in the Amazon App Store. Sideload simply means that the application is installed from a third party source and not from the officially supported store.
Preparing the Fire TV
The first thing you need to do on your Fire TV is to enable sideload support.
Come and see all Amazon offers in the week of Black Friday 2020
- Turn on the TV and bring the Fire TV interface to the front.
- Select Settings from the top menu.
- Open Device and select Developer Options from the Device menu.
- When finished, turn on the “Apps from unknown sources” option so that it appears “on”.
That’s all it takes to enable sideloading. All that remains is to download the Smart YouTube TV app on your device and install it.
Download and install Smart YouTube TV
There are many ways to accomplish this, here is a simple option:
- Go back to the top of the Fire TV interface.
- Open the search.
- Search for “Downloader”, a tool for downloading files to Fire TV. It’s this app , compare the screenshot and ratings to make sure it’s the correct one.
- Select Install when prompted to install the app on your device. You can start it right after installation. There is also an option to delete the downloaded APK file which you can do to free up space.
- Activate the URL / Address field in the Downloader app and load https://smartyoutubetv.github.io/en/.
- The Smart YouTube TV home page loads.
- Use the Fire TV remote to scroll down to the download section and select the stable version to download. There is also a beta version and a special version of YouTube Kids.
- The same installer should appear once the app is downloaded to your device. Install it on your device and launch it later. You can also delete the downloaded APK file again.
- The interface resembles that of the YouTube app for Fire TV, but you will notice that it doesn’t show any ads.
The YouTube app installed by Google remains installed and you can also continue to use it. You don’t need to sign into an account to use the app, but the option is provided.