Traveling with children around the world: What documents do you need?

Planning a vacation with children outside of Spain can be a lot of fun and enriching. Traveling to other countries awakens children’s interest in other cultures and enhances values ​​such as tolerance and acceptance of what is different. It also encourages them to learn new languages ​​and stimulates a passion for art and architecture.

However, planning a family trip is not easy. In addition to finding accommodation prepared to receive children and looking for children’s activities in the destination, it is important to prepare the necessary documentation in advance so that your children can travel. So that your trip runs smoothly from the first moment, we explain what documents you need to travel with children outside of Spain and how to obtain them.

Five basic documents that children need to travel outside of Spain

1. DNI

In Spain, the DNI is not mandatory until the age of 14, so if you travel with your child within the country you will not need this document, as long as you accompany him and carry the family book. However, if you travel outside the country, including within the European Union, the child must have this identification document.

On the official page of the National Police Corps you will find all the documentation you need to request your child’s ID. Basically, you will have to present your literal birth certificate issued by the Civil Registry with a maximum of six months in advance, a certificate or registration form issued by your City Council within a period not exceeding three months and a recent photograph of the child. When processing the application, you must pay the corresponding fee.

The presentation is made in person. You will have to request an appointment, for which you must fill out an online form with the minor’s data. On the indicated day, you must accompany the child to the police station corresponding to your home that has a DNI Issuance Team. Keep in mind that this type of procedure can take a while, so if you are planning a trip outside of Spain, make an appointment in advance.

2. Passport

If you are organizing a vacation to a country outside the Schengen area, you will have to process the issuance of your child’s passport. To carry out this procedure you also need to request an appointment with the National Police Force.

To find out what documents you need to issue the passport you can consult the official website of the Ministry of the Interior . You will have to present a recent photograph of the child and their DNI or, failing that, a literal birth certificate issued by the Civil Registry with a maximum of six months in advance. You must also present both your ID and that of the other parent, accompanied by the family book and a certificate of registration issued by your City Council. Once there, you will have to sign an express consent by which you will give your authorization to issue the child’s passport.

If one of the parents cannot attend, it is necessary to present a document signed before a notary with the consent of the absent father for the issuance of the passport.

3. Visa

Another of the documents necessary to travel with children outside the Schengen area is the visa. Many countries require an entry visa, although each one has different conditions that you can consult at the corresponding Consulate or Embassy. In some cases you will be able to process a family visa, but the most common is to manage the child’s visa independently.

To make your work easier and save time, you can review all the information about visas in the country of destination and make the application through e-Visa . On this page you will find the requirements that different countries apply to obtain the visa, as well as its validity and the maximum period of stay that you can spend in the destination. You will also be able to consult the procedure to be carried out in the transit countries and find out the destinations where minors can freely enter.

Making the application through this visa processing agency is very simple, you just have to fill in the application form and carefully fill in all the information. After paying the management fee, you can download the visa or travel document digitally. The delivery time varies from country to country, but generally, if you request it in advance, you can have it in your hands in a matter of days.

4. Authorization for minors to travel abroad

This document is especially useful when the child travels alone outside the national territory or accompanied by a single parent. It consists of a kind of travel consent that ensures that the child travels outside the national territory with the authorization of both parents. To request said consent you can find out on the official page of the Civil Guard .

In general, to apply for authorization to travel abroad for minors, you must present your identity document and the child’s family book, ID or passport to prove your parental authority. You must also fill out a form with the minor’s information, the information of both parents and the details of the trip. The request will be made in person at a Civil Guard office where you will formalize the authorization in writing.

5. Travel insurance

If you travel within the European Union it is convenient that you apply for the European Health Card in the Social Security . This card will cover the health expenses that the child may need in the country of destination in the event of an accident or illness. However, if you are organizing a vacation to a third country, it is advisable to take out family travel insurance to give you extra peace of mind in the event of any unforeseen event. In fact, some countries require it as a requirement to authorize entry into their territory.

The ideal is to bet on a comprehensive travel insurance that includes medical expenses, cancellation coverage and offers guarantees for problems with luggage, transport or accommodation. If you travel to a dangerous destination or plan to carry out risky activities, you can add additional accident coverage and a repatriation guarantee. You can carry out this procedure at any insurance agency, both in person and online.


by Abdullah Sam
I’m a teacher, researcher and writer. I write about study subjects to improve the learning of college and university students. I write top Quality study notes Mostly, Tech, Games, Education, And Solutions/Tips and Tricks. I am a person who helps students to acquire knowledge, competence or virtue.

Leave a Comment