A damaged and broken mane on the inside interferes with the outer appearance of the hair, which will look lifeless and dull.
It is convenient to clarify that broken or damaged hair is not the same as having split ends. The split ends are caused by external agents, such as exposure to the sun , chlorine or salt from water, dyes and styling tools, which have been able to weaken it and, as a consequence, it begins to break. However, hair breakage involves structural damage that makes the hair look undernourished and weak.
The causes of damaged and brittle hair are the same as those of split ends: external agents and environmental factors cause the hair to lose elasticity and fracture. This problem can affect everyone, although it is common to find it in more sensitive hair, long hair (since it is older and has suffered more) or in older people.
Treatments to recover damaged hair
88 percent of hair fibers are made up of proteins , especially keratin. From the Pharmacy Meritxell blog they give some recommendations to treat this problem:
- Use a shampoo rich in oils to avoid removing the keratin layer and delipidize the hair and not very high in surfactants (avoid very aggressive shampoos, the shampoos that foam the most are the ones that are generally more harmful for this type of hair) .
- Always use nourishing conditioners after washing and leave it for a minimum of four minutes, if possible, wrapped the hair in a warm towel that will act as an occlusion so that the nutrients penetrate better.
- Apply a nourishing maskonce a week with wet hair and once the excess water has been removed. It is recommended to leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse with cold water to close the cuticle and provide more shine.
- Keratin treatments: This type of treatment will try to recover the damaged fibers by wrapping them in a new film. Farmacia Meritxell recommends washing the hair with a shampoo low in salt or sodium chloride, drying the hair without brushing and applying the keratin product lock by lock, leaving it to act for 15 minutes and drying it. Later we can use an iron to dry the keratin. Although these treatments are usually offered in hairdressing salons for a professional result, there are products to perform it at home that, in addition, have oils, polymers and cationic agents that help seal the cuticle.
- Pre-wash treatments: The expert assures that the treatments carried out before washing the hair can also be useful. “You can apply masks for half an hour or up to overnight as a true repair treatment,” he says. Another recommendation is to use Monoi de Tahiti oil, as well as Argan oil , before going to the beach or pool to protect it from saltpeter and chlorine.
Eight pharmacist recommendations:
- Applying protective oils that contain sunscreens is essential to take care of both the tint, as well as highlights or discolorations, especially if you sunbathe or go to the beach anyway. Choose filter conditioners.
- Use leave-in creams for split ends and cut hair every six to eight weeks.
- If you are going to use irons and hair dryers, first apply a heat protector with damp hair, to thicken the hair layers.
- Do not completely dry the hair with a dryer and do it at low temperature.
- Do not use ammonia dyes.
- Avoid brushing wet or damp hair and, if you do, use thick barbed brushes.
- Use permanent without neutralizer, which oxidize with the air.