In February 2020, the entertainment industry again mourned because the wife of the late singer Chrisye, Damayanti Noor died of a stroke. Stroke is the leading cause of death in Indonesia. In 2014, the Ministry of Health recorded 41,590 deaths due to non-communicable diseases. Most deaths from strokes reached 8,775 cases, while heart disease caused only 5,365 deaths.
The Ministry of Health also recorded, stroke is not only attacking the elderly . The diagnosis result of health workers in 2013, stroke began to attack the age of 15-24 years with a prevalence of 7%. Then the Ministry of Health’s Basic Health Research (Riskesdas) in 2018 found the prevalence of stroke at a young age rose to 10.9%.
Also read: 6 Parents’ Diseases Now Affected by Young Children
Stroke occurs because blood flow to the brain is blocked by fat deposits (ischemic stroke). This condition usually occurs slowly and not many are aware. You should be on the lookout for strokes if symptoms occur like this:
- A sudden feeling of weakness in the face, arms or legs often occurs on one side of the body
- Numbness in the face, arms or legs, especially on one side of the body
- Difficulty speaking or understanding speech
- Difficulty seeing with one eye or both eyes
- Difficulty walking, dizziness, loss of balance
- Severe headaches without apparent cause, and loss of consciousness or fainting
Strokes can also occur due to bleeding from blood vessels in the brain or from blood clots (hemorrhagic stroke). Bleeding can occur suddenly with symptoms including:
- A wry smile
- Weak / paralyzed hand and foot movements
- Pelo voice
- Numbness in the whole body and around the mouth
- Double vision or sudden loss of vision in one eye
- Balance is disturbed and consciousness decreases
- Throw up
To avoid stroke early on, do the following tips:
- Exercise regularly 3-5 times a week to maintain weight and maintain blood pressure stability.
- Avoid excessive alcoholic drinks because it can increase blood pressure.
- Don’t smoke because the nicotine content causes thicker blood and increases plaque buildup which can clog arteries.
- Limit consumption of instant foods in packs because they generally contain a lot of salt and sugar . The excess salt content causes the blood vessels to harden and narrow, thereby increasing the risk of stroke.
- Avoid foods with large bad fat content such as biscuits, prepared foods, fried foods, and frozen processed foods. The content of trans fats in these foods will increase cholesterol and clog arteries.
Also read: 5 Dangers of Salt If Excessively Consumed
At the same time, you are advised to consume a number of the following foods to minimize stroke.
Also read: Ideal Food Choices for a Healthy Diet
- Vegetables and fruits such as spinach, broccoli, oranges, apples, pears, because they contain many antioxidants that can keep blood vessels supple.
- Foods high in fiber such as whole grains, nuts, and wheat because they are able to absorb cholesterol and bad fats in the blood and prevent increased blood sugar.
- Fish meat such as tuna, wet anchovies, catfish, and tilapia because it is rich in vitamins and essential amino acids that nourish blood vessels. Quoted from Kompas.com, 38 studies in 15 countries found a close relationship between fish consumption and a reduced risk of stroke.
- Low-fat dairy products like fat-free yogurt to help lower blood pressure.
Disease can come anytime and to anyone. Always take care of your health with a healthy diet and exercise diligently. You also need to equip health instruments with insurance. One of them is PT Asuransi Cigna, which comes with Cigna Proteksi Sehat product, which will provide inpatient and surgical benefits as well as additional services in the form of ambulance assistance.