If you thought that the only way to prepare scrambled eggs was cooking in a pan, from today I will change your mind. Browsing through the molecular cookbooks, I have learned many alternative cooking methods that I will gradually reveal to you. I decided to start with a really simple recipe, but not at all trivial. Today we will scramble the eggs with pure alcohol at 95 ° C, thus obtaining a wonderful egg curd.
Video of the recipe
Problems with video playback? Reload the video from youtube .
Identity Card of the Recipe
- 128 KCalCalories per serving
- Easy difficulty
- Doses for 1 person
- Preparation 10 minutes
- Low cost
Recipe Category: Molecular Cuisine / Vegetarian Recipes / Scrambled Eggs … with Alcohol – Molecular Cuisine
- 60 g (1 medium)of eggs
- About 30 mlof 95 ° alcohol
- Narrow mesh strainer
- Clean tea towel
- Whisk or spoon
- Shell an egg and place it in a bowl. Beat the egg with a fork or with a whisk.
- At this point, pour the pure alcohol at 95 ° slowly, continuing to mix. Generally, 30 ml of alcohol is sufficient to coagulate an egg weighing60 g. However, the amount of alcohol is approximate: the higher the amount of alcohol, the faster the egg “cooking” process will be. Normally, 30-40 seconds is enough.
- After 30-40 seconds of processing, you can notice that the egg has congealed and coagulated: the alcohol has therefore “cooked” the egg.
|Did you know that ??
How can alcohol cook eggs? In reality, we don’t talk about real cooking because we don’t use heat. However, alcohol in contact with eggs is able to denature the proteins present in the egg white and yolk, thus producing a literal protein coagulation (egg curd). First, alcohol causes an “unwinding” (denaturation) of the egg proteins; subsequently, the proteins rearrange themselves giving life to new structures (coagulation).
- The same method can only be applied to egg whites. The more alcohol you add, the faster the protein coagulation process will be.
- Now proceed with washing the alcohol from the scrambled egg. Pour the coagulated egg into a tightly meshed colander and pass it under a gentle jet of water. Squeeze the egg to remove all liquid (alcohol and water).
- To facilitate the removal of the washing water, turn the scrambled egg over a colander lined with a cloth and squeeze gently, closing in a bundle.
- The scrambled egg is ready: it has the typical structure of the cooked egg, while maintaining the flavor of the raw egg.
The taste of alcohol will not be perceived because the scrambled egg has been washed correctly.
- Serve the scrambled egg with croutons and vegetables or spread it over the pasta.
Alice’s comment – PersonalCooker
So we cooked an egg without using heat! And I assure you that alcohol will not be perceived in scrambled eggs! It is interesting to note that the structure of the final dish is comparable to that of cooked egg, but the perceived flavor is that of raw egg.
If you love eggs, try our egg in purgatory recipe too
Nutritional values and Health Comment on the recipe
Scrambled Eggs with Alcohol are foods that are chemically denatured and not by heat. Given that they should not contain residues of ethyl alcohol , they should keep intact the content of thermolabile vitamins (partly lost with traditional cooking methods); on the other hand, the vit. H may not be bioavailable (although alcohol may result in avidin denaturation).
The chemical content is completely comparable to that of raw egg. Given the high cholesterol content, it is advisable to consume a maximum of 3 eggs per week and no more than 100g at a time (it is advisable to further reduce the portion for the subject with hypercholesterolemia).
Nutritional values (100 g)
- Calories: 128 Kcal
- Carbohydrates: 80 g
- Protein: 60 g
- Fat: 30 g
- of which saturates: 10g
- of which monounsaturated: 80g
- of which polyunsaturated: 40 g
- Cholesterol: 00 mg
- Fiber: 00 g