We explain everything about Rhinoceros Characteristics what they eat, their reproduction and other characteristics. Also, why is it in danger of extinction.The rhinoceros or rhinoceros is part of the group of the largest mammals in the world along with the elephant and the hippopotamus.The rhinoceros is an amazing animal that has characteristics that make it unique and that any other species would like to have.
10 Rhinoceros Characteristics For Rhino Lovers.
- These imposing mammals usually weigh between 800 and 1,400 kilos , and reach an average height of 1.70 meters. His sense of sight is very underdeveloped. However, they have an excellent sense of smell and hearing.
- They are solitary and very territorial animals , especially when it comes to protecting their young. Despite this, they are peaceful and calm species that do not usually attack unless they are threatened. On the other hand, the average life expectancy of these animals under favorable conditions is 60 years.
- Three species of rhinoceros are Asian and, although today they are in danger of extinction, it is still possible to find them in restricted areas of India, Malaysia and Indonesia , specifically on the islands of Java, Borneo and Sumatra.
- Rhinos, better known as rhinos, are mammals with extremely thick and resistant skin .
- In some species the skin is distributed over its body in such a way that it gives the impression that the animal is covered or wearing armor.
- One of the characteristics for which this animal stands out is its horn , which varies in size and quantity depending on the species with which we are dealing.
- In fact, some rhinos can have up to two horns of different sizes.
- The legs of these animals are short but this does not in any way prevent them from moving quickly when necessary.
- The rhinoceros does not have very good eyesight so they develop and sharpen other senses, which are of great help to them.
- Their sharpest senses are smell and hearing, although everything varies around the species.
- The size and weight of the rhino will depend on the species, an average rhino weighs 800 to 2,300 kilograms , and is up to 2 meters tall .
- The rhinoceros can sleep up to 8 hours a day . Any time is opportune for them, and more so when they are hot days where they are resting in any shade from the sun’s rays.
There are 5 species of rhinos which are distributed in Africa and Asia, among which we have:
1. The white rhinoceros : It receives the scientific name of Ceratotherium Simun , it is gray despite the name it bears and it can measure 4.5 meters in length and 1.90 meters high and is distributed in Africa.
2. The black rhinoceros : Diceros Bicornis , is quite dark gray, is native to Africa, and is 1.8 meters tall with a maximum weight of 1,400 kg.
3. The Javanese rhinoceros : It receives the scientific name of Rhinoceros Sondaicus , is gray in color , is located in Asia, and is approximately 1.82 meters tall and weighs between 900 to 2,500 kilograms.
4. The Sumatran rhinoceros : Its scientific name is Dicerorhinus Sumatrensis , it is gray with a reddish coat of hair, it is located in Asia and is 1.3 meters tall with a weight of 600 to 800 kg.
5. The Indian rhinoceros : It is also known as Rhinoceros Unicornis , we can locate it in Asia, this animal can measure 2.4 meters high and weigh 2,100 kg.