evelation means revelation. The book of Revelation is a revelation that Jesus gave to John about the events of the end times. Therefore, the word apocalypse was associated with the end of the world.
Apocalypse is a Greek word that means to reveal, in the sense of showing something that was previously hidden or hidden. The book of Revelation got its name because it is the first word in the book. Revelation 1: 1 explains that the book tells about things that will happen in the future. Revelation is a book of prophecy.
What does the book of Revelation reveal?
The revelations in the book of Revelation speak of:
- The future of the churches– reveals the spiritual situation of some churches in important cities of the time, rebuking, encouraging and warning about what would happen to them soon; these prophecies have already been fulfilled
- The last times– great events that will take place before the end of the world; the language of these revelations is very symbolic; we don’t know if some of these prophecies have already been fulfilled or not
- Jesus‘ second coming – Jesus ‘ return at the end of the world, to bring judgment and install the eternal kingdom – see here: what will Jesus’ second coming be like?
- The final judgment– the judgment of all nations, when the devil and the sinners who rejected Jesus will be destroyed but those who love Jesus will be saved
- Eternity in Heaven– the eternal joy that the saved will have living with God, without further suffering, pain or sadness
See also: who are the two witnesses of the book of Revelation?
What are the revelations in the book of Revelation for?
Revelation’s revelations serve to alert and encourage us. Soon Jesus will return! – Revelation 22:12
This means that we need to repent of our sins and return to Jesus. Whoever rejects Jesus and chooses to remain in sin will be punished at the end of time. But whoever accepts Jesus as their savior will live forever. Not only do we need to change our lives, but we also need to share the good news of salvation with others! – Matthew 28: 19-20
It also means that we have hope . Even though we are going through a lot of difficulties, we know that Jesus will win. Evil, suffering and even death will come to an end! Nothing is more powerful than our God. We can trust in His deliverance. We must always strive to obey God, looking forward to our salvation. – 2 Peter 3: 11-13