One of the most anticipated games of 2021, Returnal has finally arrived. The game is exclusive to PS5 and it definitely looks like it. Returnal is a third-person shooter title set in a futuristic sci-fi environment.
Players can control a space pilot named Selene. She’s outfitted with a suit and armed with high-tech weapons, and she’s stranded on the alien planet Atropos. The game looks wonderful and it definitely lives up to 2021 standards.
Returnal is crashing on PS5 for many users – how to fix it
Unfortunately, not all PS5 owners who bought Returnal to enjoy this weekend are having a good time. Believe it or not, the game is crashing for many users. For some, it crashes at the end of cut scenes, while for some, a specific level is the reason behind the crashes. And most of them are getting error CE-108255-1 after the crash.
I’m already seeing a ton of comments about this on Reddit. The players are really unhappy. Hear some of them. Reddit user / GR586 says:
Failed 8 times for me, stopped trying at this point, will try again tomorrow. The game looks great so far, you just need to stop crashing.
Here’s another one:
It shocks me from time to time. Other games were rock solid for the most part, so I don’t think it’s hardware. Very annoying. Blocks are not acceptable in this game. I already lost all progress after long scan several times.
There are also many similar comments on different forums. The strange thing is that the game is working completely fine for most of the PS5 users. This would have made sense among PC users, where the hardware is different for different users. But the PS5 is the same for everyone. Strange if you ask me.
How to fix accidents
After doing some research, I found out one thing. Games that have ray tracing are more likely to crash than games that don’t. There is a great post on Reddit about it. Check it out.
Ray tracing is blocking my PS5. by PS5
Now to fix the problem, there is one thing you can do. You can try to rebuild the database. This is how you do it:
- Go ahead and turn off the console [there should be no lights on the console. Pull out the plug from the back of the console]
- Keep your PS5 unpluggedfor 5 minutes
- This would cause the cached data to be cleared
- Now plug it back in and hold the power button
- You will hear a beepsound when you press it. Do not release the button until you hear the second beep [takes about 10 seconds]
- Your console will start up in Safe Mode.
- Now connect your controller to the USB port.
- press the PS Buttonon the controller.
- A list of options should appear on your screen
- Select option 5 or Rebuild database
- Please be patient and wait until the process is complete
This solution has already worked for many people. If it’s not for you, you can try downloading the game again. Make sure you don’t have any pending updates on your PS5.
If these steps don’t fix the issue, you may need to wait for a patch, as it could be a Housemarque ending issue. Also, there are many users discussing the exact same topic in this post.