PS5 , or PlayStation 5 as it is called in full, is Sony’s fifth home console. It is the successor to PS4 , released in November 2013. The manufacturer announced a PS5 release date , with the system first rolling out November 12 in select regions. The company also confirmed PS5 Price , with PS5 Soccer now available worldwide. You can find out How to get PS5 stock notifications via the link.
In this PS5 Guide , we’ve compiled the ultimate resource for PlayStation 5. We’ll share everything you need to know about the system’s hardware, including its SSD , ray tracing , and 3D audio . Additionally, you’ll find all announced PS5 games and all PS5 launch games , as well as details on PS5 Backward Compatibility . For a more in-depth look at the console and its features, refer to the following: PS5 Review – Should You Buy It?
PS5 Guide: Hardware
PS5 is the most powerful PlayStation Sony has ever made. In addition to a custom supercharged processor and GPU , the system also houses an ultra-high-speed SSD hard drive file , enabling lightning-fast loading speeds and entirely new experiences. Additionally, the console also boasts hardware ray tracing , support for up to 120 frames per second , jaw- dropping 8K output , and 3D audio .
- The ultra-high-speed SSD means games will load faster than ever. It also means that more data can be pulled from the hard drive faster than previous consoles, opening up new possibilities for game developers, such as the interdimensional transitions seen in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.
- Hardware ray tracing allows you to individually simulate light rays, creating much more realistic reflections and shadows than those seen on previous consoles. Ultimately, this allows developers to create more believable visuals, allowing titles like Gran Turismo 7 to push the boundaries of photorealism.
- Support up to 120 frames per second will allow certain titles to run smoother than previous consoles. While it will be up to the game developer to make individual decisions about the performance of their titles, PS5 can come up with flashy framerates. Here is a list of all PS5 games running at 120 frames per second .
- 8K output means the PS5 will be compatible with 4320p resolution displays. Again, resolutions will be at the discretion of each developer, but you should expect that the vast majority of titles will run native 4K with HDR .
- 3D Audio , powered by PlayStation’s proprietary Tempest Engine, is about the ability to individually process thousands of audio sources simultaneously, creating more immersive soundscapes that will enhance your enjoyment while playing.
More PS5 Hardware Guides and FAQs
- PS5 Digital Edition vs PS5: What’s the Difference?
- PS5 Blu-ray and 4K UHD: Can PlayStation 5 Play Them?
- Vertical vs horizontal PS5: can PlayStation 5 go its way?
- How to remove the screw cap from PS5
- Will PS5 games be at 60 frames per second?
- All PS5 games running at 120 frames per second
- How big is the PS5?
- Is there a PS5 Pro?
- Is there a PS5 Slim?
- Best 4K TVs for PS5
PS5 tech specs , or tech specs , mean it’s the most powerful PlayStation file ever released . Below you will find a complete breakdown of the hardware components of the PlayStation 5.
|processor||8x Zen 2 Core at 3.5 GHz (variable frequency)|
|GPU||36 CU at 2.23 GHz (variable frequency)|
|GPU architecture||Custom RDNA 2|
|Memory band||448 GB / s|
|storage||825GB custom SSD|
|Actual I / O speed||5.5 GB / s (raw), typical 8-9 GB / s (compressed)|
|Optical drive (optional)||4K UHD Blu-ray Drive|
|Dimensions||390 mm x 104 mm x 260 mm *|
|Weight||4.5 kg *|
* Dimensions and weight apply to the standard PS5
Of course, these numbers may not mean much to you on their own, and you’re probably curious how the PS5 compares to both the PlayStation 4 and its main competitor, the Xbox Series X. Fortunately, you can find full comparisons via the following links. : PS5 vs Xbox Series X vs Xbox Series S and PS5 vs PS4 .
More PS5 tech spec guides and FAQs
- PS5 vs Xbox Series X vs Xbox Series S: full comparison of technical specifications
- PS5 vs PS4: full comparison of technical specifications
- Teraflop PS5: what are they and how many does PlayStation 5 have?
Sony has placed a huge emphasis on the PS5’s SSD , which has been customized to enable blazingly fast transfer speeds. The benefits of this technology mean that games will load faster, but it also allows for new gameplay possibilities, such as the interdimensional transitions presented in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.