If your PlayStation 4 console sounds like a jet engine, you are probably wondering “Why is my PS4 so loud?” or “Why is my PS4 Pro so loud?” This noise often comes from the cooling fan, but what’s causing an overdrive? Keep scrolling as we detail how to make the PS4 quieter so you can play in peace and / or actually listen to the TV.
Why is my PS4 so loud? | How to fix the noisy fan
The cooling fan is an important part of any gaming hardware, preventing overheating and malfunctioning of internal components. Hence, the noisy PS4 fan does an important job but there are ways to make it quieter while maintaining the necessary airflow. If your PlayStation 4 is particularly old, this “defect” can exhibit general wear, which is worth keeping in mind as you go through these troubleshooting steps.
How to fix PS4 loud fan noise
- Remove any discs and all cables from your PS4 console.
- Lift and dust your PlayStation 4 system using a soft cloth, making sure to remove dirt from the vents and inlets.
- If possible, spray compressed air into the vents and ports. (Note: Do not blow against them, as saliva can cause the components to rust.)
- If your console lives in a confined space, consider moving it to a place with better circulation.
- It is also worth considering the vertical position of the console, which allows for greater airflow.
- If you move your PS4 or put it back in the same place, make sure the surface you place it on is clean and free of dust.
If your PS4 console still has a strong fan after following the steps above, it may be due to general wear and tear. We don’t recommend opening the console for a thorough cleaning or to see exactly what’s going on if the machine is under warranty or you don’t know what you’re doing.
It’s also worth noting, however, that some of the more graphically intense PlayStation 4 games push the console to its limits. As a result, you can expect the PS4 to be a bit louder than usual when playing games like The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima.