The business world is a world full of competition. How not, the interest to run a business is very large even very many who run businesses in the same field.
One of the things that must be considered by businesses to be able to create added value is the business message. Business messages are important for a business person to convey information that he wants to convey to other business people in an effort to conduct a business with a specific purpose.
In an organization, messages conveyed by superiors to subordinates are sometimes not well organized. As a result the message conveyed was not about the target or not in accordance with expectations.
This also applies in the business world. Valid senders such as superiors need to make preparations such as planning business messages to be conveyed properly. So that the message is conveyed to other parties and is received and understood according to the expectations of the sender.
Direct delivery is the type of business message that is most often used by business people. But business messages can also be conveyed through memos, letters, revising drafts, typing emails, and so on.
In making written business messages, you need to pay attention to what you want to convey to other parties. This is a strategic step for achieving goals and one of the factors that determine success in delivering business messages.
Also read: 5 Examples of Business Messages in Business Communication
Relationships in the business world are basically for profit. But sometimes business people also need to establish personal relationships with business partners without considering the benefits of the relationship.
When it comes to composing business messages, creativity is needed to attract attention, be easy to read and easy to understand. In order for business messages to be effective communication , an understanding of the process of composing business messages in business communication is needed.
In general, the process of preparing business messages consists of 3 namely:
- Message planning
- Organizing messages
- Message revision
1. Message Planning
Planning is the first stage that needs to be considered in delivering a business message. In the planning phase, it is necessary to pay attention to some of the fundamental important things of a message to be communicated.
The business development stage starts with the message planning stage which includes the following stages:
- Goal Setting
In delivering business messages, each individual has a different purpose. Business messages play an important role in creating a corporate image.
Therefore, the stated purpose must be clear, measurable and not in conflict with the goals of the organization. The goal setting is done to focus on the content, respond to the audience and to establish channels and media. The general objectives of business communication are:
- Providing information relating to the business world to other parties ( informing )
- Give persuasion or persuade other parties related to negotiations between one person and others in the business world ( persuading )
- Doing cooperation or collaboration between someone with others both domestic companies and foreign companies ( collaborating )
- Audience Analysis
After the intentions and objectives are conveyed properly, the next step is to conduct an audience or reader analysis of what, who, when, and how the business messages should be conveyed.
A good understanding of the audience will facilitate and expedite business messages because the audience has a different understanding of the message they receive.
Here are the things you need to pay attention to in analyzing an audience:
- Develop an audience profile
- Recognize primary recipients
- Determine the number and composition of the audience
- Measuring the level of audience understanding
- Estimating the recipient’s reaction
- Meet the information needs of the audience
- Satisfy the audience’s emotional and practical needs
- Determination of Main Ideas
Every business message will lead to one main idea. The main idea is something that becomes the main topic in conveying a business message.
Determination of the main idea requires creativity and experience. The approaches that can be used to determine the main idea are as follows:
- Brainstorming: determining the main idea by letting the mind explore various possible main ideas freely so that the ideas obtained will be more varied.
- Guidance superiors: determination of the main ideas where executors tend to ask for instructions from superiors, implementing the organization adheres to the seniority system.
- Habit: determination of a certain main idea comes from the same situation that recurs in each event and develops in a main idea.
- Channel and Media Selection
The choice of channels and media should be adjusted to the nature of the message, the level of confidentiality, the cost of sending, the formality, and the expectations of the recipient. The communication channel consists of oral and written communication and each has several types of media.
Also read: Types of business communication in general
- Oral communication channel
Verbal communication is the most widely used channel in business communication, including through interviews , telephone calls, speaking in person, seminars etc.
But not all business messages can be conveyed orally. Messages delivered orally are relatively simple messages, easy to understand and responses are usually needed from the message. But there is a shortage, that is, messages are delivered spontaneously and are not organized in advance.
- Written communication channel
Written messages can be in the form of writing tags or with the help of electronic media such as telegrams, e-mails, faxes, etc. Written communication channels are used if there is no need for direct feedback, detailed and complex messages, requires planning, requires permanent records and large amounts of receipts.
2. Organizing the Message
The purpose of a business message is the recipient’s understanding. Therefore, to speed up and improve the efficiency of composing messages, it is necessary to organize messages well. Organizing messages properly can be done through the following steps:
- Group ideas and logically present them (outline)
- The subject and purpose are clear
- Includes all important information
- There is relevance between information and the subject and purpose
3. Message Revision
Preparation of business messages requires a careful and meticulous process, so that messages that have been completed must be reviewed and repaired again to ensure that the business message does not have flaws, strengths or errors. Revision of messages can be started by quickly reading the contents, organization and writing format. Then proceed to rewrite the message so that the message sentence is effective. If it is considered effective, it can be produced and designed to be more attractive.