The peas are typically spring vegetables.These are rich in vitamins, protein, fiber and nutrients and very beneficial to our health. The pea plant, Pisum Sativum , is part of the Fabaceae family, they are very ancient legumes and there are many varieties, spread all over the world and they are excellent for preparing soups, pasta dishes, side dishes and many other recipes.Fresh peas mark the arrival of spring for us.We can find peas at the supermarket or at the grocery store from the month of April, May and June.
Advice with storing peas
The peas Fresh can be stored for up to two or three days in the refrigerator, if instead are cleaned last at least 5 or 6 days.
Dried peas are ideal for soups or wonderful velvets.
Frozen peas retain their properties, found in fresh peas.
Its nutritional values
Peas are made up of 79% water and are therefore a low calorie food.
They bring about 52 Kcal per 100g of peas.
Rich in fiber and therefore suitable for a slimming diet, with the exception of dried peas that are more caloric.
Peas contain proteins but are free of some of the essential amino acids.
Rich in mineral salts such as potassium, iron and phosphorus, dry peas are the ones with the highest content.
The properties of peas
They mainly consist of water, about 80%, it has fibers, proteins, carbohydrates, ashes.
- Peas are legumes rich in vitamins A , C, E, K and J and vitamins of the B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 group.
- Rich in minerals: calcium, sodium, phosphorus, selenium, copper, zinc and manganese.
- The contained vitamin C helps to strengthen the immune defenses, and potassium helps a diuretic action.
In fact, peas have different properties
- Anticoagulants: thanks to the content of vitamin B6 and folic acid, peas are beneficial for the heart and blood vessels.
- For the diet: the peas are excellent for the diet as a food rich in water and low-calorie. The fiber content promotes a sense of satiety.
- Against bad cholesterol: peas are rich in plant phytosterols, which give it the ability to keep LDL cholesterol levels low in the blood.
- The fibers together with potassium are also able to keep the blood pressure and triglycerides low. They contain numerous substances that confer antioxidant properties, such as flavonoids, carotenoids such as beta-carotene, polyphenols, vitamin C and vitamin E. Rich in folic acid.
- L and B vitamins, B1 and B3 promote the correct functioning of the nervous system; folates, instead, which in the body will be converted into vitamin B9, prevent depression.
- To all those who suffer from intestinal diseases, the fiber and water content in peas is excellent stimulates diuresis.
- For the liver they are devoid of saturated fats and rich in proteins, they do not weigh down the liver.
Contraindications and warnings
It is advisable not to abuse it. Peas are a source of purines and therefore not recommended for hyperuricemics and gout sufferers.
Peas in the kitchen
Excellent for velvety soups, soups, side dishes can be cooked in many ways. The risotto with peas is famous