Patricio Lumumba Establishment . Institution based in Cuba , in the municipality of Caibarién that is dedicated to the production of leather.
[ hide ]
- 1 History of the establishment
- 2 Decorations received
- 3 Factory Achievements
- 4 Sources
History of the establishment
In 1923 Felipe Tedechea bought the land where this factory was built on the La Laguna farm, currently the management of our center. The construction is framed in the period from 1923 to 1932 , as the factory expanded, new workers were employed, until reaching the figure of 89 workers, the administrative structure, had an owner administrator (Felipe Tedechea), two foremen (Roberto Gómez and Fausto Futierréz), a paying bookkeeper and an office worker. The wages of the workers as well as the workforce fluctuated according to the owner’s profit, which was closely linked to the purchasing power of the masses, depending both on the characteristics of the dictator on duty.
In 1928 there were workers who paid $ 0.60 per day, it is not until 1930 that three types of wages were established, according to the complexity of the work which were $ 1.85, $ 2.10, $ 2.70, they slightly attenuate these wages the peseta for leathers that the owner establishes in order to increase his earnings, payments were made on Sundays from six in the morning to eight in the morning. Product of the second world war the industry has a great boom due to the manufacture of skins for the front, the workforce is increased, reaching up to 1500 square meters of oiled skin.
In 1948 there is a substantial decrease in profit, corresponding to this the factory is not profitable, associating itself with Rodríguez y Cía. until 1950 , which are separated from the increase in profits. In 1954 an investment was made, building the maintenance workshop and the office; Not so the dining room or the transportation to the workers that most came on foot with the lunch canteens. In this disgraceful time, the Tenero worker, as well as the port workers, were privileged, since at least they had a fixed job one time of the year with loan facilities in the shops because the payment was guaranteed, which gave him the possibility of a home.
The working conditions were inhumane, despite the high aggressiveness of the chemical substances that intervene in the process, most of the workers worked barefoot, without gloves or aprons, when the sores were very annoying, they covered them with pieces of sticking plaster . In 1938 the tanners union was founded, this constitutes a great achievement for the workers from Teneros, in 1943 a protest was organized for an increase in wages. The workers of this center supported the strike of April 9Also, the dockworkers’ strike to what was called the “dead city”, this time the Tenero strikers were forcibly evicted by the minions, first from “the border”, after the “City Park”. The main labor leaders of that time were Ramón Saura, Román Lugones, Facundo Lugones and Cayetano García, active members of the Communist Party, as well as Nicolás Parras and Aurelio Monteagudo. workers. The largest participation of the Teneros workers in the fight against tyranny was in the purchase and sale of bonds for the fight, unanimous support was provided by the workers to the triumph of the revolution, including the owners. There are no administrative changes at the time.
At the end of 1961 , the tannery was intervened by the revolutionary government. In 1963 the union was strengthened with the comrades who entered the port, also this year the center party was established. In 1964, production was affected due to lack of water due to the exhaustion of the factory pit, so a Bisi-Nay pipeline was installed, until the factory, solving the problem, production was also affected by the low capacity of the boilers available, in 1965 fuel oil boilers were installed, thus increasing steam capacities.
In the period between 1965 and 1967 a picnic area and a dining room were built, the former aspirations of the workers, who had needed it so much, in 1967 a forklift was acquired, substantially improving the work of man, since previously the leather pallets were transported in foxes. Then begins a period of repair and modernization, as early as 1974 the tanning hall was built, which was very small and in very poor condition. The rotation system of the drums that depended on a single motor was also modernized the same year, and in this investment they became independent.
Three more coats are built to increase production, two skinning machines are installed, tankers are eliminated, and three new drums are installed to replace them. With this introduction there is a great improvement in the work of the worker, since the work in the tankers was very hard, in addition the productive process is made possible by reducing the tanning time, already in these years with a strengthened union and the party as a guide. workers guards are established, the masses of workers begin to produce voluntarily for the strengthening of the nascent revolution.
In 1976 a building was set up where a laboratory and offices are set up, with this new investment there is a systematic control of the quality of the production process, as well as the finished product, which was not controlled. Starting this year, repairs have been made to equipment in poor condition, there was an improvement in workers’ wages due to the general reform of wages.
In 1986 the factory is included in the modernization development plan, introducing a dehorning machine, a calibrating machine, a continuous process satin machine, a dividing machine, a Toogling dryer, the introduction and repair of drums, a pistolear machine, the installation of a steam boiler with greater capacity, the 24 of December of 1988 by an accident machine pistolear bringing as consequences burning thereof and the natural drying burns.
In 1988 the collective of the center was distinguished as a national vanguard, the highest distinction awarded by the CTC .
The years of 1989 and 1990 passed satisfactorily in the factory, fulfilling all the economic and productive indicators, although it should be noted that in the late 1990s the falls of the special period began to be felt in the factory. With the collapse of the socialist camp, the main products of chemical processes such as chrome salts, tanning agents, tallow, and industrial oils, came from the USSR and CAMEAs a result, the factory’s production levels decline sharply, not only for the products mentioned above, but also due to the significant drop experienced in livestock farming throughout the country, thus encouraging the assurance levels of fresh and salty skins to decrease until 40%.
Starting in 1996, and as a method of improving the ministry’s management policy, work began on management by objective, preparing business plans.
In 1997, with the export of Wet – Blue, although on small scales, the establishment obtained the status of National Vanguard, a condition that it also reached in 1985 , 1986 , 1987 , 1998 , 2006 .
Collective provincial Moncada in the years 1996 , 2002 , 2003 and the results obtained not only by the establishment, but by those obtained by the company in general, it was selected to start in the year 1998 the business improvement .
- Factory production levels were increased and with them the increase in exports.
- The status of company in business improvement was obtainedin 2000 .
- It was possible to maintain and qualitatively increase the functioning of the committee of innovators and rationalizers, as well as the quality of the work presented to the FORUMat all stages.
- Improvement of industrial equipment, new machines have been acquired that allow a better technological quality and at the same time better working conditions for the workers who work there.
- Efficient boiler house condition.
- It works with cleaner technologies.
- Decrease in the consumption of Fuel Oiland with it the emission of CO2 into the atmosphere .
- Establishment of the fur trim in the salting which eliminates the load of chemical substances in solid residuals.
- Recovery of salt from salting plants, saving the establishment the purchase and use of salt by 20%.
- Obtaining in 2001the condition of the best factory at the leather and footwear company level, a center highlighted by the productive results at the company level in 2006 and 2007 .