Black pepper is used as a spice. It is also used extensively in Ayurvedic medicine. It contains manganese, zinc, chromium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C and many other nutrients. It is used in the treatment of respiratory diseases, cough, cold, constipation, indigestion, anemia, muscle strain, dental disease, diarrhea and heart disease.
Benefits of black pepper –
- Black pepper helps to increase the digestive process, which increases the secretion of hydrochloric acid in the stomach. Improving digestion provides relief from problems such as colic, bloating, indigestion, flatulence, constipation and stomach gas.
- Black pepper helps to increase digestion as well as increase appetite. Taking half a teaspoon of black pepper powder and one tablespoon of jaggery mixture regularly increases appetite.
- The antioxidant properties present in black pepper helps prevent cancer, heart disease and liver problems.
- The piperine present in black pepper helps to reduce arthritis and joint pain.
- Black pepper helps to relieve tooth and gum problems. To reduce toothache, mix a pinch of black pepper powder in clove oil and apply it on the affected area.
- The anti-bacterial properties present in black pepper help to relieve cold, cough and cold. It also helps loosen the phlegm. To empty the respiratory system, mix half a teaspoon of black pepper powder in a glass of lukewarm water and drink it two or three times a day.
- It helps in removing skin related problems.
- The anti-bacterial properties found in black pepper provide protection against insect bites and infections.
- Black pepper helps prevent gas from forming in the stomach. Mixing half a teaspoon pepper powder, half a teaspoon black salt and half a lemon juice in a cup of water provides relief from gas in the stomach.
- Black pepper also helps reduce stress, relieve anxiety and sadness.