The different methods of medical abortion eliminate the classic complications of surgical abortion, either in its traditional version: instrumental curettage with general anesthesia or in its current version (still unknown in many hospitals), intrauterine aspiration with plastic material and local anesthesia.
[ hide ]
- 1 Definition
- 2 medical methods
- 3 Contraindications
- 1 Don’t forget to mention
- 4 Instructions for use
- 5 Pharmacological abortion
- 6 Side effects
- 7 Advantages
- 8 Bibliographic References
- 9 External links
medical methods entail a greater degree of privacy and autonomy, in addition to reducing the physical and psychological trauma that an act such as abortion always involves, which for any woman is always traumatic to some extent. It seems to be, without a doubt, that the most effective method to abort would be the combination of Mifepristone plus Misoprostol
- Mifepristone (RU486, Myfegyn, Mifeprex) + misoprostol: It is the best method of the 4, in terms of efficacy, safety and comfort.
- For its use, it must be a pregnancy of less than 49 days or (7 weeks), counted from the first day of the last period (contraindicated in pregnancies of more than 50 days of amenorrhea)
- Ectopic (extra-uterine) pregnancy.
- Allergy to mifepristone or misoprostol.
- Chronic use of systemic corticosteroids.
- Chronic adrenal failure.
- Coagulopathy or anticoagulant therapy.
- Hereditary porphyria.
- Hypertension , severe liver or kidney disease, and severe anemia should be evaluated on an individual basis.
- If an intrauterine device (IUD) is present, it must be removed prior to treatment.
Don’t forget to mention
- Have had or suffer from: diabetes ; hypertension; porphyria; suprarrenal insufficiency; or heart , kidney , liver, or lung disease .
- Use intrauterine device (IUD).
- If you are breastfeeding.
- If you are going to have any surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking mifepristone.
- If you smoke 10 or more cigarettes a day or if you have a history of smoking.
How to use
It should be taken only in a clinic or hospital under the supervision of the doctor. You should take 3 mifepristone tablets on the first day, 2 days later if the doctor cannot confirm whether the pregnancy has ended, you should take 2 misoprostol tablets.
After 14 days of taking mifepristone, you will need to see your doctor for an exam or ultrasound to confirm that the pregnancy has ended. At the end of the treatment you should take precautions not to become pregnant.
- Methotrexate + misoprostol: This method is widely used in Canadaand other countries where mifepristone is not yet marketed. It is not used in Europe.
- Misoprostol alone (Cytotec, Arthrotec, Oxaprost, Cyprostol, Mibetec or Misotrol): Misoprostol alone is illegal and widely misused by thousands of immigrant women, and also in countries without induced abortion legislation, every year. It is not used in authorized centers. In cases that after using misoprostol alone and the abortion has been unsuccessful, the pregnancy must be surgically interrupted (due to risks of congenital malformations).
- Oxytocin alone: This method is partially pharmacological, since a surgical act is performed after the expulsion (carrying out an aspiration and curettage).