For a while, even without particularly fiery performances, you have found yourself with annoying losses after intercourse. What can they be?
Vaginal dryness, intimate burning and itching, pain and bleeding during and after intercourse: when fertile life comes to an end , these can be the uncomfortable consequences of hormonal changes .
In this article we talk about blood loss in menopause , quite frequent in this season of a woman’s life, and specifically about those that occur after intercourse. Bleeding can have different causes , most often related to benign pathologies , which can be resolved with the help of a gynecologist . But until their nature is known, they can be a source of anxiety and worry .
For this reason, when abnormal bleeding occurs, the most sensible thing to do is to contact the gynecologist . Investigating the causes of leaks is the only way to protect your health and calm your mood.
Blood loss after intercourse: why?
The Menopause does not always agree with satisfactory intimacy. As a result of the decrease in the production of estrogen and progesterone, in fact, you may experience an annoying feeling of vaginal dryness or feel pain during intercourse . Many times it is the mechanical rubbing on the vaginal walls that are too dry (due to the absence of natural lubrication) to cause microtrauma, which can lead to bleeding .
These are annoying and uncomfortable situations for the woman, sometimes embarrassing that can be experienced with shame because, perhaps at the most beautiful, they can break the magic of the moment turning, in some cases, into badly digested waste by the partner. Discontent and misunderstandings can increase the sense of unease and inadequacy.
For these reasons it may be a good idea to share these difficulties with your partner , in order to make him participate in the changes in intimate relationships in menopause and, at the same time, strengthen the couple’s complicity.
Blood loss after intercourse: what can it be?
the specialists have identified a number of common causes that can be at the origin of blood loss after intimate intercourse.
- Vulvo Vaginal Atrophy : This is the most frequent cause of discharge after intimate intercourse. 50% of postmenopausal women, or 1 in 2, suffer from this pathological condition . Yet little is said about it , often out of shame and embarrassment . If you want to know more, read on: we have dedicated a whole paragraph to Vulvo Vaginal Atrophy below.
- Endometrial polyps: these are cellular alterations, of a benign nature, which occur in the area of the endometrium (the tissue positioned inside the uterus). Uterine polyps are typically asymptomatic , but they can cause bleeding. Typical of the pre-menopausal phase (40-50 years) , polyps are rarer in menopause.
- Endometriosis : it is a disease of the tissue positioned inside the uterus (the endometrium, in fact), which grows outside its natural location. Endometriosis occurs mostly in fertile age (and can cause infertility ) , can cause acute pain, bleeding, irritation and infections, discomfort especially during the menstrual cycle and during intimate intercourse. Endometriosis can also be asymptomatic. However, it is extremely rare to notice endometriosis only in menopause when the lack of menstruation should alleviate the most annoying symptoms.
- Endometrial hyperplasia: this is the proliferation of endometrial tissue, which results in intimate blood loss.
This pathological condition is more frequent after the age of 45 , or in the perimenopausal phase, and can be linked to risk factors such as:
- massive and prolonged hormonal treatment based on estrogen
- absence of pregnancies in the course of life
- long fertile age (both for the early onset of menstruation and for a late menopause).
Unlike polyps, endometrial hyperplasia may not always be a benign disease .
Blood loss after intercourse: when the cause is Vulvo Vaginal Atrophy
L ‘ Atrophy Vaginal vulvo is a pathological condition and progressive (up to become chronic ) which causes a thinning of the vulvar tissues. Drier and more fragile, these become less elastic: from these factors derive discomfort, pain and bleeding in normal daily life but also, and above all, during intimate intercourse .
The characteristic disorders of Vulvo Vaginal Atrophy are mainly 4 :
- intimate itching
- vaginal dryness
- pain during intercourse (up to two days later)
- blood loss
These are problems that can be so annoying as to have a negative impact on a woman’s quality of life and, in addition, create discomfort and embarrassment in the couple’s relationship. As we said, Vulvo Vaginal Atrophy is a progressive pathological condition (it means that it gets worse with the passage of time if not properly treated), so early diagnosis is essential.
The best solution, once again, is to contact an experienced gynecologist in menopause : it is possible to successfully treat Vulvo Vaginal Atrophy and recover one’s well-being as a woman, but to do so, a direct and sincere dialogue with the specialist is necessary.
Blood loss after intercourse: what to do?
There is a lot that can be done to control the discomforts related to the end of the fertile age, recover the daily serenity and find a smile under the sheets , but it’s up to you to take the first step. The specialist will be able to find the right personalized therapy after certain diagnostic tests such as transvaginal ultrasound, a Pap test (the best weapon for prevention of tumors of the uterus) or the ‘ diagnostic hysteroscopy , necessary to exclude the presence of polyps.
For your part, there are simple steps you can take to avoid worsening the situation in the event of a leak :
- Take care of intimate hygiene using gentle cleansers, specific for menopause, which respect the acidity of the vagina (the decrease in estrogen production changes the pH of the intimate environment, which can increase.
- Wear cotton underwear (preferably white): no to synthetic fabrics, not only for briefs but also for pants. In any case, avoid wearing clothing that is too tight and tight .
- If you need hygienic protection against leaks, choose products in pure cotton wool , without synthetic filters.