Huawei is one of the global market leaders in the wearable segment. In China, it leads in this direction, in the world – it successfully competes with Apple, Xiaomi and Samsung.
Huawei bracelets are advanced medical sensors, extensive functionality for sports activities, and user-friendly software. The Band 6 claims to be the leader in its niche.
Korean competitor: Samsung Galaxy Fit: review of design, specs and 7 health features
Specifications Huawei Band 6
|Black or gold
|Black, orange or pink
|Via button and touch screen
Compared to the previous generation of Huawei fitness trackers, the manufacturer has increased the screen diagonal by 1.5 times. Huawei Band 6 looks like a smart watch , this bracelet is radically different from its predecessor – Band 4 . This did not make the new format bulky and uncomfortable during sleep, but it became more comfortable to use the screen, especially for people who cannot boast of 100 percent vision.
Also, Huawei abandoned the idea of a touch button, returning to a conventional mechanical one. The company appears to have found the control of the previous model unsuccessful. There is logic in this, since the sensor can be accidentally touched, for example, by touching the shirt with the sleeve, but this will not happen with a mechanical button.
The fitness tracker has impressive moisture resistance. In the technical documentation, the manufacturer indicates that with the bracelet you can dive to a depth of 50 m, but there is also a ban on scuba diving. In practice, it is quite possible to swim with a tracker in a fresh pool or river. However, it is better not to acquaint him with sea water.
Interesting article: What is SpO2: 6 tips on how smartwatches and fitness bracelets read data
Band 6 design and equipment
In a compact box, along with the fitness tracker, you will find a charging cable with a magnetic connector and documentation. The design is almost identical to the sixth tracker of the Honor brand. Differences: Huawei does not have a brand name on the side of the module, there is no serif on the power button. The design of the bracelet is elegant and laconic, compatible with any clothing. The flat screen has smoothed corners. The snug fit of the sensors to the hand ensures accurate readings.
Bracelets are supplied to the Ukrainian market in three colors:
- black module plus the same strap;
- case – rose gold, strap – orange or pink.
In principle, if desired, you can combine colored straps with a black module. The base model with a pink strap is considered a purely feminine version , all other combinations are unisex. The fasteners that provide the connection between the fixing part and the body are designed with enviable care. To replace the strap with an accessory of a different color, you will have to sweat. But the risk of the tracker falling off during jogging, swimming or other exercises is reduced. Numerous holes on the strap allow you to easily fix the bracelet on a woman’s or man’s hand. The manufacturer used hypoallergenic, pleasant to the touch and practical materials.
Another competitor: Fitness bracelet OnePlus Band: 5 impressive characteristics of the gadget
Screen Huawei Band 6
It’s time to review the beauty and pride of the bracelet – an AMOLED display with a not weak resolution of 198×368 pixels. It is interesting that the competitor of the review hero – Mi Band 6 – has a larger screen diagonal, but the display is very elongated, so the Xiaomi tracker is noticeably inferior to the Huawei tracker in terms of screen area. Accordingly, it is more convenient to read notifications on the display of the latter.
The screen has 5 brightness levels, there is no auto-adjustment, you have to change the display settings manually. The maximum brightness mode is suitable for a sunny day, the minimum level is for complete darkness. If you leave the tracker at night to monitor the quality of sleep, it is better to set the “Do not disturb” mode. So you protect yourself from accidentally turning on the screen, which can wake you up with its glow. The set alarm will ring in any case.
In addition to manual brightness control, Huawei Band 6 differs from the older Watch Fit model in the absence of a permanent display mode. As a replacement, the manufacturer suggests using the “Active Screen” function. After its activation, the display will not go out for 5-20 minutes. The exact time depends on the user’s choice. The screen is turned on with a gesture or a button, it will not work to revive it with a tap.
The Band 6 has interactive watch faces: touching icons to open apps. There are a dozen watch faces on board, you can download other free or paid options from the Internet. The range is in the hundreds. You can display your photo on the screen.
Apple smartwatch: Apple Watch 7: review and 4 chips to boot
Band 6 software
After turning on the device for the first time, you need to select the interface language. Then the fitness bracelet will prompt you to scan the QR code with your smartphone. The gadget is friends with both Android phones and iPhones. However , Apple smartphones do not support music and camera shutter controls. The best option is integration with Huawei or Honor mobile phones .
Using the QR code, you need to download Huawei Health to your smartphone. After that, we go into the program and add a new device to it – our bracelet. We pair devices via bluetooth. At the final stage, we set the checkboxes: autoload updates via Wi-Fi and autoupdates. What can the main Huawei program for Band 6 and other Huawei and Honor devices do? The functionality is as follows:
- Keeping a workout diary.
- Monitoring morning awakening and sleep quality.
- Control of the distance traveled.
- Processing of data on the work of the heart during exercise.
- Calculation of consumed calories during physical activity.
- Implemented work with motivation. You can add goals and track their achievement.
- Cardio and stuff.
The smartphone in conjunction with the bracelet acts as a recipient, processor and custodian of the user’s health data. The large screen makes it possible to view information in a convenient way. The tracker uses sensors to take readings and transmit them to the phone. You cannot put programs on the bracelet at your own discretion, a closed software system functions in it.
Watch for kids: How to choose a smart watch for kids: 6 key parameters
Functions and capabilities of the fitness tracker Band 6
- The bracelet shows what will be there outside the window in the next 6 hours and 6 days.
- Breathing exercises. The choice of the duration of classes and the rhythm of breathing.
- The fitness bracelet starts, pauses the music on the smartphone. You can flip through tracks.
- A timer with a maximum range of 24 hours. Stopwatch with the ability to timed intervals.
- Smartphone camera control.
- A flashlight is, of course, inferior in power to a telephone one, but its presence can still be entered into an asset.
- Sleep analysis. If you do not take off the tracker at night, it will track the time of falling asleep, waking up, and the quality of breathing. The device provides recommendations on how to get the best sleep, based on research by scientists.
- Oxygen level tracking. After the outbreak of the pandemic, many people began to wonder how much oxygen they have in their blood. Gadget manufacturers have met them halfway. Huawei Band 6 will sound the alarm if SpO2 falls below 90%.
- Measurement of heart rate at rest and during sports activities. The bracelet will warn you about large deviations from the norm, the threshold values can be adjusted.
- Measuring stress levels. Perhaps, when determining this indicator, the bracelet is guided by the number of heart beats per minute.
- Tracking physical activity. If you sit in an office chair for more than an hour, the tracker will suggest a little stretch. Also, the fitness bracelet monitors the number of steps and the time spent on sports exercises.
- Support for about 100 types of workouts. Calculation of the rest time between them.
- Management of phone calls and SMS.
- Finding a smartphone lost in the mess.
When analyzing the readings, it is important to understand that the bracelet is not a medical device. However, the level of errors is low, it corresponds to the cost of the tracker. For the same money, there are gadgets from other manufacturers that cannot even measure the pulse normally.
Choosing a gadget for jogging: How to choose the right watch for running: which is better in 5 parameters
Autonomy of the gadget for training
Huawei, along with the screen size, did not forget to increase the battery capacity. Now it is 180 mAh. The manufacturer assures that the autonomy under a typical scenario of use is 14 days, with an intense load – 10. The battery loses its charge evenly: a drop from 100% to 50% takes about the same time as from half charge to shutdown.
The battery charges quickly from a laptop or any low-power adapter. Gains 50% in 15 minutes. Full charge time is about 1 hour.
Tips for setting up: A 5-point guide on setting up a smart watch with a tonometer: how to measure blood pressure and heart rate correctly
Pros and cons of Huawei Band 6
The bracelet has much more advantages than disadvantages:
- Due to the large display, the tracker can be mistaken for a smart watch.
- About 100 types of workouts. Good detail. For example, the device counts not only the number of jumping rope performed, but also how many times a person strays. Running and other workouts are also interesting software.
- Works for a long time without recharging, quickly charges.
- There is no need to be afraid of water drops during hygiene procedures, it is suitable for swimming in the pool.
- Nice design, easy control.
- Automatic SpO2 measurement.
- Competitive price.
For the completeness of the Huawei Band 6 review, here are a couple of cons:
- There is no automatic brightness adjustment.
- No NFC.
For a reason, the manufacturer jumped from the 4th to the 6th model in the line of bracelets. Huawei is clearly not limited to cosmetic improvements. In fact, the company has obtained a device of a new level, with which it is difficult to compete with other gadgets in this price category. This is not to say that the fitness bracelet is perfect, but in general the concept looks nice, there is no desire to look for flaws.