Today we are going to see how to write or get the letter ñ on the English keyboard of a laptop or PC. Did you know that you can type the letter Ñ regardless of the keyboard? In this way, it does not matter if your keyboard does not have that letter, it is possible to write it without many problems.
How to Write or Get the Letter ñ on the English Keyboard of a Laptop or PC
Fortunately, there are many ways to write the letter ñ , some more complicated or annoying than others. But it can be done without any kind of problem and we are going to teach you below, how to write the letter ñ on an English keyboard with several methods.
After this, you will be the one to choose which of all these methods is most comfortable. Especially for those who must write too much, possibly the last method is much easier for them.
- Put the letter ñ by copying it to the clipboard
- Write lowercase ñ and uppercase Ñ with your code on the numeric keypad
- How to put the letter ñ using Windows keyboard shortcuts
- Type ñ with the Mac keyboard shortcut
- How to get the letter ñ setting the Windows language
- Put the letter ñ with the virtual Windows keyboard if the key does not work
Put the letter ñ by copying it to the clipboard
Obviously the first option is copying it. In case you have to write a few letters Ñ then it is best to simply copy it from a website and paste it into your document.
Whether you want a lowercase ñ or an uppercase Ñ you can copy and paste it into your document with no problem. Although this is too simple a solution and it can even be complex if you have to add several letters Ñ . For certain cases it is enough and more than enough.
Write lowercase ñ and uppercase Ñ with your code on the numeric keypad
However, if you want to make this letter in your document without depending on copying it from anywhere, what you can do is use this key combination:
How to put the letter ñ using Windows keyboard shortcuts
- Ñ: Alt + 0209
- ñ: Alt + 0241
For this letter to appear, you need to hold down the “Alt” key that is on the left side of the space bar . Then you must write the number from the number keyboard that is on the right side of it. It’s no use using the numbers above.
Type ñ with the Mac keyboard shortcut
If you have a Mac computer and you want to write the letter ñ you have two options to do it
- The easiest way to place ñ is to press for a few seconds the corresponding vowel or the letter N (for ñ) and you will be able to notice how boxes with several options very similar to those of mobile phones appear above these letters, then you just have to select the character you want to write with the mouse or simply click on the number key that is located below.
- The second option to write the ñ is to use the combination of keys , the letter ñ in uppercase and lowercase is written with a very similar system. These are the commands to write the letter ñ:
- For lowercase ñ: ALT + ny then n.
- For uppercase Ñ: ALT + ny then N.
How to get the letter ñ setting the Windows language
If you do not want to copy and paste the letter ñ or do not want to place it with commands because it is difficult for you; Another method is to customize the Windows system input to the Spanish language. If you do this, the computer replaces the key that is occupying the position of the ñ, which in this case is the semicolon.
To customize the input language of your computer you must follow the following steps:
- You must locate the Windows symbol and press its settings.
- Once there you will see a box that says “Time and language” and you must press it.
- Then you have to choose the “languages” option .
- Where it says ” preferred languages”you are going to select it.
- When you find it, you must press the language box and choose from the “options”
- Once options are selected, a box will be displayed in which you must choose the keyboard you want.
- When you have it ready you must go back to the language settings and you have to click on “Add a language”.
- Then you must select the language you want to use in the list and hit “next“.
- As a last step you should see the description of the language you want to default for your keyboard and click on “install”, wait for the process to finish and that’s it.
- As a recommendation, you can restart the computer so that the configuration adapts more quickly.
Put the letter ñ with the virtual Windows keyboard if the key does not work
Another option to place the ñ is to use the Windows virtual keyboard which is very similar to the keyboard of an Android or iOS mobile, the virtual keyboard is shown on the same screen.
To be able to use the Windows virtual keyboard you must press the Windows + R keys to open it, once this is done you have to open the run dialog box for this type osk and press accept.
The Windows virtual keyboard establishes its configuration according to the input language that is active at that moment, in such a way that if Windows is configured in Spanish, it will show the letter ñ. In order to add it, you must click on the Ñ on the virtual keyboard as if it were a real keyboard.
Similarly, the easiest way to do this is by pressing the key in the place of the Ñ if you have an English keyboard. This happens when you have Windows configured in Spanish , since it uses that dictionary.
This means that if you have Windows in Spanish then it is very possible that the key on the right side of the “L” is the “Ñ”. This does not apply only to the “Ñ ” key but applies to the entire keyboard.
If you have configured the operating system in Spanish, it does not matter if your keyboard is not, Windows will configure all the keys so that they work as if your keyboard were in our language. Likewise at any time if you wish you can change the Windows language or you can also change the language of the keyboard at your convenience.
We can also find a way to temporarily lock your computer’s keyboard with a simple Windows shortcut. It is a simple process that may be useful for several things.
If you still have any kind of doubt about how to write the letter ñ or symbol on an English keyboard. You can leave it a little further down in the comment box.