Next, we are going to see in detail how to view and delete quarantined files in Windows Defender , Microsoft’s antivirus that is integrated into the operating system.
All antivirus have a function known as quarantine. It is used to save and isolate files that may be a potential threat. In most cases they are. However, in many it can be a false positive.
A false positive would be a file that, for one reason or another, the antivirus considers to be malware. We must be very careful in this regard and unless we are completely sure that it is a false positive. It is best to quarantine or delete it .
Today we will see precisely how to see the files that are in quarantine and how to delete them. You also have the possibility in the same section to recover them in case you think it is convenient to do so.
But as we mentioned, you must be very careful when doing this, since you may be exposing your computer to a possible infection. So without much more to say let’s get started with this simple and detailed tutorial.
How to view quarantined files in Windows Defender
- The first thing we must do is press on start and then type ” Windows Defender ” to enter the antivirus .
- After this we will have to go to the section ” Antivirus and threat protection “.
- In this section we will be able to see a summary of the status of the antivirus, possible threats, history, configurations, etc.
- If we click on ” Exam history ” we will be able to see in detail the last security exams that were carried out on our computer.
- In this same place we will find a section called ” Threats in Quarantine ” which is precisely where the files are saved instead of being deleted.
How to delete quarantined files in Windows Defender
- If we click on one of these files, we can see that two options appear: one of them is ” Restore ” and the other is ” Remove “.
- In case we click on ” Restore ” the file will return to the location where it was before being removed by the antivirus.
- By clicking on ” Remove ” the file is completely removed from the operating system. So if it is a false positive. The best thing is to press ” Restore “.
- So, as you can see, it is quite easy to find all the files that the antivirus decides to quarantine. Then you decide what you want to do with them. But unless they were downloaded from a highly trusted website, the ideal would be to leave them there or simply remove them from our computer to maintain its security and not expose us to any kind of malware.
- If you need more information about the file in question. What we can do is press where it says ” See details ” and a small window will open where we will be able to see a lot of information about the file itself.
- Even the original route of it. If we press on ” More information ” we will access Microsoft’s date on the malware in question.
It is more common than you think to have false positives with Windows Defender and any other antivirus. In case you want to have a second opinion, you can use online applications such as VirusTotal to analyze the file in question and remove any doubts you may have.
In case you still have any questions about how to view and remove files from the quarantine in Windows Defender, you can leave it a little further down where you will find the comment box and we will be willing to help you solve any kind of problem you have.