The easy transfer from one site to another makes the different Raspberry Pi models a practical tool. However, installing a conventional monitor to make the adjustments increases the final size of the package.
Now, by installing a 7-inch screen , the kind used by tablets , you can create projects on a more interactive device, with the possibility of displaying a virtual keyboard and, best of all, the way to do it is easy and simple.
In the market there are several models available from different brands, acquiring a portable screen eliminates the use of an external monitor for those tasks in which it is essential to do so. We are going to leave the detailed steps in our guide and, as always, the recommendations of the screens that you can purchase.
how to use your tablet screen as a monitor for your Raspberry Pi from scratch
There are at least two ways to connect a tablet to the Raspberry Pi. With both, you can have full access to the desktop through the Android system.
Let’s go with the steps that must be taken to achieve the connection:
First of all, we must activate the SSH or Secure Shell protocol, which allows remote access to a server in a secure way, encrypting the information found on it .
We are going to put it into operation as follows:
- Enter the “Raspi-config” screen , then select “Advanced options”, “SSH” and “Ok”.
- When prompted to reboot, please do so.
- On the Raspberry PI OS desktop , open the “Preferences” tab , locate “Raspberry Pi Settings” , “Interfaces” and finally select “SSH” . To confirm, click on the “OK” window .
- Now turn off the Pi, remove the card and open it on your computer, in “File Explorer”.
- At startup, create a directory called “ssh” without any extensions.
- Take out the card and make the replacement on your Pi now.
- When you turn it on again, SSH will already be activated .
Connect with RPD
We do the test with one of Microsoft’s remote protocols , it is RPD or what is the same as Remote Desktop Protocol . It will allow us to communicate between the computers connected to the network.
To put it into operation, follow the steps below:
- Install the “RPD”software on both your Pi and your tablet.
- Now SSH your tablet to the Pito update the package list using the following code:sudo apt update sudo apt install xrdp
- In this case you must find a remote application.
- Downloadthe app.
- Start installing the application. Select ” Desktop” by tapping the “+” button and enter your Pi name.
- Next, enter the username or if you have not created it, click on the “Add user account”option .
- When you’re done, hit the “Save”option .
- When you are ready, click “Connect”.
- You will get a warning that it could not be verified, but this is due to the Linux system.
- Click “Connect Safely”and you can see your home screen.
- The next step is to enter your user credentialsand click “OK”.
Use a VNC connection
With the installation of this software, you will also have remote access between both devices.
It is one of the most used systems for this purpose and now we explain how to use it on the tablet:
- The first thing is to install VNCon both devices.
- Now, update the repositories and install the TightVNCserver : sudo apt update sudo apt install tightvncserver
- When complete, insert this command: “Tightvncserver”.
- During the process, you will be asked to enter your username.
- Now you have to choose a VNC client among those available and then press the “Download”option .
- When VNC is installed, open the program and press “+” to create a new session using the IP and session number.
- At the top of the window, “Continue”appears , if you click it it will tell you that it is not encrypted.
- Press “OK”, then “Continue” and the connection will open there.
- Now, you have everything ready to enjoy the connection between both devices.
Use HDMI port
The other viable option is to buy a touch screen and make it work on our Raspberry Pi, to make it work you have to follow the following steps:
- Using the HDMI port,one end is connected to the screen and the other to the Pi. It does not require any additional software.
- The other option is with a DSI standard,using the screws and connectors that come with the screen.