Surely you will agree if it is time to update the iPhone but there is not enough storage this can become a real headache. Since we know that trying to fix this can be really frustrating if you don’t really know how to do it, we have prepared for you the valuable and instructive topic: How to update an iPhone if there is not enough space but you have it.
How to update an iPhone if there is not enough space with iTunes and Finder
Update your iPhone with iTunes
With iTunes, the files for the update are downloaded to your computer , while only the necessary files remain on your iPhone, so you will not need storage on your mobile, saving you a real headache.
Now, to update an iPhone with iTunes from the PC, you will need to follow the following easy steps to be successful:
- First of all, make sure you download the latest version of the iTunes application, regardless of whether your computer is PC or Mac .
- Then, you must connect your iPhone mobile to the computer with the USB cable and wait for iTunes to detect it by itself, which may take a few seconds. If iTunes does not open automatically, you must start iTunes yourself manually.
- Once inside the iTunes application, you must click on the iPhone icon, which is located below the playback controls of this program.
- When you do this, a window will open where you will be notified that there is an update to be done on your iPhone. If this message does not appear, you can go to the Summary tab and in this search and click on the option Check for updates.
- Finally, you must click on Download and update in the window that should appear, then the necessary download will begin to update the iPhone in a normal way, regardless of the storage available.
With macOS Catalina Finder
If you have a macOS Catalina computer , you can successfully update your iPhone with the Finder tool , even if your phone doesn’t have enough space, by following the steps given below.
First of all, you must make sure that you have the latest version of macOS Catalina on your computer for the process to go well. Then, with your USB cable, connect your iPhone mobile to your mac and hope that it detects it properly.
Now you must open the Finder window, for this, you must press the symbols ⌘, ⌥ and the space bar simultaneously on your keyboard. Or you can also locate it in the top menu bar, select Finder> File> New Finder folder, then in the column on the left side of the screen, select your iPhone and then click on the Summary tab.
Finally you search and select where the option to update your equipment comes out, you start the download and that will be it, your iPhone will be updated even if it lacks storage space.
What you can do before updating your iPhone
If what prevents you from updating your iPhone is the lack of storage, there is an obvious solution to this: eliminate everything you do not need on your mobile.
For example, you can delete old voice memos , as you may be surprised to know that even if you delete voice clips from your mobile, they are not deleted immediately. So many times and without knowing it, you can have a lot of old voice memos taking up space on your mobile. To delete them, you must access the option Phone> Voicemail and from there delete to free up space on your iPhone.
As with the issue of voice memos, it happens with the photos that you supposedly “deleted”, since they are not deleted at the moment , taking up space on your phone without even you noticing.
Another good option is to delete applications that you are no longer using, since some are very heavy and take up space that you can use to update your iPhone. In the same way, video files that you no longer see or podcast that you no longer hear, you should delete them to make more space on your mobile.
On the other hand, if you don’t want to get rid of anything at all , you can take advantage of iCloud to store your files, photos, videos, music, and more, leaving your mobile storage free.