In this guide, you will learn how to unlock the bootloader on your Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3. The bootloader is a piece of code that runs before the operating system. He instructs the phone to boot up and find the kernel. The bootloader image is always device specific because each phone has different specifications and processors.
What is a bootloader?
Like any other Android phone, the Galaxy Z Fold 3 has its own bootloader. However, there is a problem. Samsung has locked the bootloader of the Galaxy Z Fold 3 for security reasons. If you’re the average consumer, you don’t care that your phone has a locked bootloader. But if you are a power user who loves to tinker with your phone, a locked bootloader is a big problem. ROMs, mods, and custom files are an important part of working with Android. However, with a locked bootloader, you cannot flash custom ROMs, kernels, or root the phone.
Before you can do any of this, you need to unlock the bootloader of your Galaxy Z Fold 3. Thankfully, Samsung has made it easier for users to unlock the bootloader, at least in the Exynos variants.
You can easily unlock bootloader on Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3. You don’t need any special tools. The unlock function is built into the phone.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Galaxy Z Fold 3
Once the bootloader is unlocked, all data on your phone, including apps, files, photos and videos in the internal storage, will be deleted.
- Unlock your phone and open the Settings
- Scroll down and tap About phone -> Software information.
- Find Build Number. Press quickly seven times. This will enable Developer Options .
- Go back to the Settingsmenu, scroll down and click on Developer options .
- There is a switch called OEM Unlock:Allow Bootloader Unlock. Click on the switch.
- Now press and hold the power button. Click on Turnoff to turn off the phone.
- Keep the volume upand also the sound quieter buttons when you connect your phone to your computer with a USB cable. The phone will boot into Download Mode .
- The phone will show a WarningPress and hold the volume up button again.
- Will Unlock Bootloaderappear on the phone ? Press and hold the volume up button. This will unlock the bootloader and all data on your phone will be erased.
- The phone will automatically reboot. Connect your phone to a Wi-Fi network and skip the rest of the setup.
- Go to Settings> About phone> Software infoand quickly tap 7 times on Build numberto enable Developer options . Go to developer options and make sure OEM unlock is not active.
This will unlock the bootloader of your Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3. After unlocking the bootloader, all data on your phone will be deleted. The phone will revert to factory settings.
Congratulations! Now you can install custom recovery, ROM or Magisk for root access.