The Xbox app for Windows 10 brings together gamers from both the Xbox One and computers running Windows 10, making it a great tool for cross-platform communication. However, some users are experiencing an issue with the app’s messaging tool, especially this one that led to Reddit:
I’m not sure about the problem, but for the last month the messages tab of the Windows 10 Xbox live app won’t work for me. It says “Please try again, we had trouble receiving your messages”, and when I send a message it says “We couldn’t send this message, please try again later”.
- Try again. We had trouble getting your conversations
- Reset the Xbox application in Windows 10
- Restart your console
- Physically cycle the console
Try again. We had trouble getting your conversations
1. Reset the Xbox application in Windows 10
One possible solution to the problem is to open the search bar and search for » Apps & features . Then find the Xbox app, select advanced options, and click “Reset.” This should return the messages, although you may have to repeat the process each time the error appears.
2. Restart your console
Another solution is to restart or turn on the Xbox One console. Note that the process does not erase any of your games or data.
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Select Settings .
- Select Restart console .
- Select Yes to confirm.
If you cannot access the guide or if the console is frozen, press and hold the Xbox button on the console for about 10 seconds until the console turns off. After doing so, tap the Xbox button on the console again to restart.
3. Physically cycle the console
- Turn off the console by pressing and holding the Xbox button on the front of the console for approximately 10 seconds. The console will turn off.
- Turn your console back on by pressing the Xbox button on the console or the Xbox button on your controller.
If you don’t see the green boot animation when you restart the console, repeat these steps. Make sure to hold down the power button until the console shuts down completely.
If your console is in instant-on mode, the steps above will turn it off completely. Instant-on mode, or the ability to turn on the console by saying “Xbox on,” will not activate until you restart the console.
Disconnect and reconnect the power cord from your console
- Turn off the Xbox One console by pressing the Xbox button on the front of the console for about 10 seconds until it shuts down completely.
- Unplug the power cord from the console. Wait 10 seconds.
Make sure to wait 10 seconds. This step restores power.
- Reconnect the console power cord.
- Press the Xbox button on your console to turn on the Xbox One.