Sometimes a simple text message isn’t enough to get your message across. The ability to send an image or file is a handy feature.
In this article, we’ll show you how to send files via Discord, and a few alternatives for when Discord refuses to play ball.
Sending Files to Discord via PC
Uploading a file via PC to Discord is a very simple process. On the left side of the text input field, at the bottom of the window, there is a + sign . Click on it. A file selection window will appear, allowing you to select a file to upload. Select the file and click Upload . Checking the ” Mark as spoiler ” checkbox will hide the spoiler image file. Remember, Discord has restrictions on the uploads of the files you are allowed to submit.
The icons to the right of the text input field are the gift icon, gif icon, and emoticon icon, respectively.
The gift badge allows you to buy a friend a Discord Nitro account. The GIF icon lets you choose from a selection of animated GIFs to display with your message. The emoticon icon allows you to select an emoticon.
Sending files to Discord via mobile phone
Uploading files via Discord to a mobile device is also pretty straightforward. Open the Discord app and do the following:
- Enter the server or channel you want to send the file to.
- If you want to send a file to a specific person, click their name to create a private message.
- At the bottom of the message list, you should see two icons: a camera and an image.
- Clicking on the camera will open your phone’s camera. You can take a snapshot and send it directly through the Discord app.
- Clicking on the image icon will open several other icons. The keyboard will allow you to enter a text message. The image icon will allow you to upload an image from your image gallery. The document icon will allow you to upload a video, image file, audio file, text documents, or even software such as apk files. The camera icon will also open your camera.
- You can select multiple files and send them all at once. Each selected file will be marked with a check mark.
- Clicking the Upload icon or the right arrow icon uploads the files to Discord.
Discord upload limits
Discord has file upload restrictions that you can attach to your posts. The limit for a regular Discord account is 8MB. The Nitro Classic subscription has a download limit of 50 MB. Discord Nitro subscription offers a download limit of 100MB per file.
The Discord Nitro Classic subscription is available for $ 4.99 per month or $ 49.99 per year. Discord Nitro, on the other hand, is offered at $ 9.99 per month or $ 99.99 per year.
Bypass download restrictions
If you want to send files to your friends on Discord, but cannot do so due to the upload limitation, you can simply bypass it. This can be done by uploading the file to the online file storage and then sharing the link to it on Discord. Below we have listed some of the most popular websites you can use:
- Youtube – The popular video streaming site offers a 15 minute upload limit of one video by default. This limit can be expanded by passing the test. Once verified, you can upload up to 128GB or 12 hours of video, whichever is less.
- Streamable – This video download site does not require an account to be created to use it. Just upload the video or select the url from the video on it and you can now link to the file. Streamable also lets you edit video clips, which is why it’s a pretty popular option for Discord. The site has a limit of 10 minutes per video or 1 GB per file, whichever is less. For those with a professional subscription, there is no download limit.
- Google Drive is Google’s own cloud file download site, it offers different upload limits depending on the file type. For documents – up to 50 MB per file, for presentations – up to 100 MB per file, for spreadsheets – up to five million cells, and for other files – up to 5 TB.
- Dropbox – This file hosting site offers up to 50GB of upload space. There is no file size limit other than 50GB. You can upload the file as long as you can fit it into the repository.
Sharing made easy
Discord has made it much easier to share files with other people. While this limitation is limited by the download limitation, it can be easily circumvented with a little know-how.
Do you know of other ways to send files via Discord? Do you have other download sites that you might want to share? Go to the comments section and share your thoughts with us.