The guide will tell you how to install the operating system (OS) on an Apple laptop. It also describes how to transfer MacOS from one PC (personal computer) to another.
How and why to reinstall the operating system on a MacBook
You need to reinstall the Mac OS when:
- the integrated (HDD) drive is out of order;
- MacBook was transferred to another owner;
- the user has switched to a newer MacBook model, for example, the Air, but wants to keep the previous version of the system;
- you need to transfer data to other Apple devices or another computer.
- From scratch – the method involves cleaning the hard drive, so it’s better to transfer the files to another medium.
- By updating the version – the data remains on the PC.
Note : Earlier versions of the operating system can be “freshened” to OS X Mavericks through the MacAppStore.
See also: Which MacBook to choose in 2019: review, comparison, reviews
Things to do before reinstalling the OS
In order not to lose information, you must transfer your data before installing the operating system.
The built-in Time Machine (TM) program was created just for this purpose. She will make a backup copy and help restore files. The software is launched from the system settings of the Mac OS. They are located in the Apple menu.
For everything to work out, you need to connect a portable hard drive. It must first be formatted in MacOS Extended or Xsan. MacBooks do not work with FAT / NTFS, which are used by Windows and Android.
A message will pop up prompting you to select a media. If it has not appeared, then you need:
- Go to the Apple menu and set the name of the software (software) in System Preferences.
- Click on the backup medium.
- Select the required drive and click “Use disk”.
Learn: How to Remove Unnecessary Apps from Laptop – 2 Ways
How to reinstall MacOS on a Mac
There are three solutions to the problem.
How to reinstall Mac OS from an installation flash drive
|Download||1. Load the image, click on it with the right mouse / touchpad button. Mark the display of what it contains.|
|2. Find / Contents / SharedSupport /.|
|3. Copy InstallESD.dmg to the drive.|
|4. It is necessary to place an image on the MacBook’s main screen (mount). This can be done using integrated software.|
|Bootable USB stick||· Go to “Reinstallation”. This can be done through Utilities.|
|· Connect an external flash memory and mark “Our carrier”.|
|· When “Partition disk” is highlighted, you need to note where they will be placed.|
|· Find the “GUID Partition Scheme” and mark it. The item is located under “Parameters”.|
|· Go to “Restore”. Here it is necessary to set the image of the “Mac” operating system as the source, and the USB flash drive – as the recipient.|
|· Confirm recovery.|
|Reinstall Mac OS||1. Restart your MacBook, for example Pro, holding down “Option” until a window appears to select the location where the operating system will be installed. You will need to select it.|
|2. Click “Erase” to delete the earlier copy.|
|3. Enter the software tools and click “Reinstall”.|
Interesting: Which is better – a monoblock Apple or MacBook: 2 steps to understanding
How to install the system without formatting the internal drive
It is downloaded and updated over the air. The process will not affect user files.
Important ! Before installing, you should make sure that the technical specifications of your MacBook meet the minimum OS requirements. Not every version of the system can be upgraded to the desired one at one time. Sometimes you have to act in stages.
The installation of macOS Sierra will be described below. In the case of other operating systems, the procedure is identical.
How to do:
- Go to the AppStore on your computer.
- Find a new version of the operating system and go to the download page.
- Click “Download”.
The OS is downloaded automatically and is located in the Applications folder by default. If the device has at least OS X El Capitan 10.11.5, then the next OS will be downloaded unnoticed. After booting up, the MacBook will ask the user to confirm the installation.
If this does not happen, you can start the Mac OS yourself by following the path: “Programs” → Launchpad or Spotlight and clicking “Continue”.
Restoring macOS from a backup
You need to understand that this can be done only on the same MacBook. You will not be able to transfer from Air to Pro in this case.
The instruction is considered using the example of Sierra 10.12.
How to proceed:
- Connect a carrier to the Mac to save the necessary data in the TM program. Give the copy a name.
- Run OS X Yosemite on a different drive through the same software.
- Restart the MacBook and hold down Cmd + R.
- Go to “OS X Utilities”, find recovery using TM from a copy.
- Click “Continue”, then select the drive to install and confirm the action.
Helpful: How to Increase Laptop Performance – 8 Ways
Transferring a copy of the operating system and your data to another MacBook
This can be done through the “Migration Assistant”. All active applications must be closed.
If you only need to duplicate the system with all the files. They can be synced to each other over Wi-Fi or through the Lightning port.
If you are using Thunderbolt, the MacBook OS must be started as storage. You can also put a copy media in a clean PC . In this case, the further procedure will not change.
How to transfer OS from one Mac to another:
- Turn on laptops in standard mode and sync them over the local grid.
- Activate the “Assistant” on each device.
- On an old MacBook, mark the transfer of information to another PC and click “Continue”.
- On the new one – choose to import data from an external drive TM or from another computer. Here you also need to click “Continue”.
Attention! If the system asks for a security code, you should make sure that it, like the types of portable files, is the same on both devices.
Problems when reinstalling macOS
When the operating system is updated or the user downgrades to a previous version, difficulties may arise:
- I can’t roll back. The reason for this is the lack of up-to-date copies due to the disabled function. Better to make a reservation in advance. You can also download a new image and roll back the system to it.
- An error occurred while creating a copy or restoring data. Most often, it speaks of disk malfunctions. You can’t do without a specialist.
- An error occurred while updating the OS. Possibly the Mac model is not supported by recent systems. In this case, you will have to stay on the last system with which Apple’s laptop is compatible, or buy a newer PC.
- Decreased performance after upgrade. Sometimes the system requirements of the new version are higher than those of the MacBook. The solution to this problem is the same as in the previous case.
- The device freezes, although nothing has been updated. It happens when you need to replace hdd or another type of disk.
Instructions: How to Improve Laptop Cooling – 5 Ways
You don’t need to go to the wizard to install a Mac OS. You can do it yourself. The main thing before that is not to forget to copy all the necessary files so that they do not disappear after trying to upgrade the MacBook.