With Screen Time, you can track your device usage to get rid of smartphone addiction and also block access to certain functions and applications. For added security, you can even set a passcode to prevent someone from making changes to your custom settings without your permission. But what if you forgot your Screen Time password? Don’t worry, there are some reliable ways to recover Screen Time passcode on iPhone, iPad and Mac, that too, without losing any data. With that said, let’s learn how Screen Time passcode recovery works!
How to Restore Screen Time Passcode on iOS, iPadOS, macOS
To allow users to reset Screen Time passcode on iOS and macOS without losing any data, Apple has introduced a highly efficient Screen Time passcode recovery tool that requires iOS 13.4 / iPadOS 13.4 and macOS Catalina 10.15. 4 or later. But there are ways to get back forgotten Screen Time passcode even for those who don’t have the required iOS / iPadOS versions. Here’s a look at all of them.
Recover Screen Time Password on iPhone, iPad
First of all, we are going to try Apple’s Screen Time Passcode Recovery tool as it is more efficient and makes the task a painless affair. Of course, it also keeps all your data safe. As mentioned above, make sure your device is running iOS 13.4 / iPadOS 13.4 or later. Another thing to note is that Apple’s Screen Time passcode recovery tool is integrated with the Apple ID. That means you’ll need to authenticate with your Apple ID and password before you can reset the Screen Time passcode on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Then tap Change screen time password. You will need to select the Change Screen Time Passcode option again to continue.
- Now, select Forgot Passcode.
- Next, enter your Apple ID and the password you used to set the screen time on your device.
- Finally, enter a new Screen Time passcode and verify it.
Recover Screen Time Passcode on Mac
Retrieving Screen Time passcode on macOS is simple too. Again, you will need to verify with your Apple ID and password to restore the Screen Time passcode. Also, make sure your device is running macOS Catalina 10.15.4 or later.
- Click on the Apple menu in the upper left corner of the screen and select System Preferences.
- Now, click on Screen Time.
- Then select Change passcode.
- Then click Forgot Passcode.
- Next, you will be asked to enter your Apple ID and password that were used to set up the Screen Time passcode on your Mac.
- Once done, enter a new Screen Time password and confirm it.
If you have the Cross-Device Sharing feature enabled, the new Screen Time passcode will automatically update on all connected devices with the same Apple ID. That means you won’t need to reset the passcode on all devices.
Recover Screen Time Password for Kids on iPhone, Mac
The Screen Time Passcode restoration process for a child’s iPhone and iPad is a little different. Please note that if you are using Family Sharing to manage your child’s account, the passcode reset option will not appear on your device. You must use the family organizer device to reset the Screen Time passcode for your child.
On the family organizer device, go to Settings app -> Screen time . After that, scroll down and select the child’s name found in Family. Then tap Change Screen Time Passcode and select the option again. You may need to authenticate with your Face ID, Touch ID, or your device passcode. Next, enter a new Screen Time password and confirm it by entering it again.
On a Mac, the same can be done by selecting the child’s name from the drop-down menu on the left sidebar (in System Preferences) and following the steps mentioned in the previous section.
Other ways to retrieve screen time passcode
Even if your iPhone / iPad is not running iOS 13.4 / iPadOS 13.4 or later, there is no need to panic. You can still retrieve your Screen Time passcode.
Restore iPhone or iPad from encrypted backup with Finder / iTunes
You can reset the Screen Time passcode on your iPhone or iPad by restoring it from an encrypted backup. Please note that it will delete all existing data on your device. So, make sure to backup your iPhone beforehand. Also, turn off Find My iPhone / iPad by going to Settings App -> Profile -> Profile -> Find My .
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer and launch Finder (macOS Catalina or later) / iTunes.
- Now select your device. After that, click on Restore iPhone / iPad.
- A pop-up window will appear asking you whether or not you want to backup your device before restoring. Choose Backup, if you haven’t already. Otherwise, choose the Do not backup option.
- Once the firmware update is complete, you can choose the preferred backup to restoreyour device. Make sure to select the encrypted backup you made before forgetting your screen time password.
Clear all content and settings
While erasing all content and settings is not an ideal solution, it works reliably by allowing you to reset the Screen Time passcode. However, keep in mind that it will delete all existing data, including photos, videos, music, messages, notes, and more. Also, note that you won’t be able to restore your backup either as it will contain the passcode.
- Don’t forget to backup your device via iTunes / Finder or iCloud ( Settings App -> Profile -> iCloud -> iCloud Backup) to keep your personal data protected.
- Once you have backed up your device, head to Settings app -> General -> Reset> Erase all content and settings. Once your device has been erased, follow the setup wizard to configure your device.
Use third party tools to retrieve screen time passcode
There are quite a few third-party tools that can help you recover your Screen Time password. So, if your device is not running the latest versions of iOS / macOS and you don’t want to go through the tedious ways of resetting Screen Time passcode, I would recommend that you check out a couple of reliable tools like iPhone Backup Extractor (Free , offers in-app purchases) and Tenoshare 4uKey (Free, offers in-app purchases).
We will take into account iPhone Backup Extractor. Makes the process very simple.
- Just connect your device to your computer and open the software. After that, choose your device from the sidebar.
- Now, click on the Utilitiestab and select Screen Time. After that, you will be asked to disable Find My iPhone / iPad (Settings> Profile> iCloud> Find My) if it is enabled on your device. Now, click Recover to retrieve Screen Time passcode.
Recover Screen Time Passcode on iPhone, iPad, Mac Safely
That is all! So, these are the viable ways to restore Screen Time passcode on iPhone, iPad and Mac. If your device supports iOS 13 / macOS Catalina, you can easily retrieve passcode. In case your device is not compatible with Apple’s Screen Time Passcode Recovery tool, take advantage of the encrypted backup to restore the password. Besides, you can also take the help of third party tools to retrieve the passcode.