Are you a person who is very reserved with the information that you have stored in your USB memories and the access to it? It is now possible to create passwords to protect USB memory sticks and the information they contain along with it. It is worth mentioning that this process can be done using programs or not.
In the same way, we will provide you with all the possible details about this, the benefits it brings, how to do it from a MAC or Linux and some programs that will help you encrypt access to any USB memory. Keep in mind that once you put passwords to the memories, it will be difficult for someone else to retrieve files from the USB without having the corresponding access.
- What are the benefits of having a password to access a USB memory?
- How can I password my USB with a Windows computer?
- How do I block access to my USB memory if I have a MAC or Linux?
- Lock USB sticks on MAC
- Protect pendrive in Linux
- What are the best external tools to encrypt USB access?
- RoHos Mini Drive
- USB Safeguard
- Rohos Mini Drive
- LaCie Private-Public
What are the benefits of having a password to access a USB memory?
Being direct on this topic, the benefits of setting a password on a pendrive or USB memory are the following:
- Information theft will be very difficultor impossible for the vast majority of people. Without neglecting that it does not matter what type of information or file you have.
- You can protect each of the files individually and applying a different password.
- Rest assured if you accidentallytry to delete a file by mistake . Being protected, it will ask you for the password to proceed with the draft of it.
- Protection against computer viruses is guaranteed
- The people who obtain your USB sticks will not be able to make any kind of modifications, delete files or extract information, since they will need authorization to do so.
How can I password my USB with a Windows computer?
Keep in mind that once you start to establish passwords , you have the possibility of using them to transfer photos from the cell phone to a Pendrive safely. Now, the steps you have to follow are the following:
- The first step is to connect the pendrive to the computer. Once this is done, you have to go to the control panel
- After you are there, you must locate the System and Security category.
- Once you select it, you have to proceed with choosing Bitlocker Drive Encryption
- Now you will have to mark those units that you want to encrypt or put a key on it
- Activate the Bitlocker and immediately afterwards, you will have to follow two methods to be able to continue with the block.
- In your case, you will have to select “ Use a password to unlock the unit”.
- At this point, you have to select the type of encryption you want to implement.
- As a last step, you must confirm the entire process so that it ends and the corresponding changes can be applied.
As a curious fact, we recommend that before performing these steps, you choose to format the pendrive even if it is write-protected and then establish a lock. This is for convenience and to prevent any type of error or problem from arising.
How do I block access to my USB memory if I have a MAC or Linux?
Lock USB sticks on MAC
In case you have a computer with a Mac OS operating system , we recommend that you follow the following steps:
- Connect the external storage deviceto the computer
- Find the device icon and select the Encrypt option
- Now set the password you want to apply and that’s it
Keep in mind a very important fact, and that is that when encrypting or protecting USB memories in MacOS, that device can only be used on another computer with the same operating system.
Protect pendrive in Linux
The process in Linux is just as simple as the previous case. You just have to connect the memory to your computer, wait for it to recognize it, locate the icon that belongs to that device, select it by right clicking and then choose Encrypt Title.
Another alternative that you can choose, whether you are on Linux or MacOS, is the following:
- Launch the Disk Utility applicationand then choose Device in the left part of the window.
- Now format the drive, but not before saving the information.
- In the drop-down options, you will choose GUID Partition Map
- From there, you will choose any of the options that are related to encryption.
- Now is the time to write what password you are going to choose and that’s it.
What are the best external tools to encrypt USB access?
You have the enormous advantage that not only do you have native functions of the operating system itself to establish passwords to USB memories , but you also have a wide repertoire of tools and / or programs that provide you with the same function, but with better functions.
It is a fairly simple software, but with a large number of features that has nothing to envy to other applications of the same style . Among its many positive aspects, we can mention the following:
- Ability to create virtual ciphers
- Encryption of USB storage devices, micro SD cards and solid state hard drives.
- You have the ability to encrypt any partition as long as they are removable devices.
- You will be able to encrypt and decrypt them in real time.
- You can create a hidden volume if you want.
You have the great advantage that you can download this program by accessing its official page. Once you enter the official VeraCrypt page , you can choose which file to download depending on the operating system you have.
RoHos Mini Drive
The highlights of this program are:
- The ability you have to scan storage drivesfor errors
- The ease it gives the user to change the size of the partitions
- Being able to create partitions from scratch, but with a high level of encryption and protect them with a password.
- Also, you can put content that is not encrypted.
The best of all is that it is in Spanish and does not have a great weight. It is simple to use, with a great level of utility and does not consume too many resources .
It is a tool that does not stand out from the other two previous ones, but it is not so bad as not to be considered. The most striking thing about this program is that its weight does not exceed one megabyte. On the other hand, it is somewhat limited in terms of pendrive encryption since it only works with those memories that have a maximum weight of 2 Gb.
Rohos Mini Drive
This is basically the same program that we mentioned a moment ago, but with the difference of having some improvements and being an updated version.
Program developed and focused on the protection of files and information of great importance in USB memories. It can be used without any problem on USB sticks, as well as on external hard drives and mobile devices. This is achieved thanks to the fact that it works with AES-256 encryption.